Saturday, August 17, 2013

Planting "Root's" Out West

"The best things in life are a result of being wounded.  Wheat must be crushed before becoming bread, and incense must be burned by fire before it's fragrance is set free.  The earth must be broken with a sharp plow before being ready to receive the seed.  And it is a broken heart that pleases the Lord.  Yes, the sweetest joys of life are the fruits of sorrow.  Human nature seems to need suffering to make it fit to be a blessing to the world" (my devotion book)

To say I have been walking in the valley would be minimizing how I have felt.  Since spring time I have been walking in the depths of a valley marked out and chosen for us and it has been very difficult for me to understand.  To put words to all that we have been walking through would be impossible.  My only request, is that you pray for us, seek God with all your heart on our behalf.  Pray specifically for Adam's memory, even more specifically for his ability to create memories that don't flee within minutes.  Oh God, how my heart cries out to You, knowing you are my only help in all of these trying and difficult circumstances... please God, please hear the cries of my heart and open Adam's memory like a floodgate... please relieve him of the torture he is in day after day, hour after hour.

I am struggling, pleading with God for Adam's memory.  I don't understand all that has happened in the last 3 years... I don't understand all that has been allowed to harm and hurt us, and I am struggling to cling to the promises marked in my Bible, yet I know how real and true they are.  I feel this weird torment... between my flesh and my soul... my flesh wants me to give into my pain and hurt, it wants to be angry about my circumstances, but my soul is clinging onto finding all that I can to be thankful for.  It desires and urges me to worship and fall to my knees even when I don't "feel" like it and it's in these sweet moments that the Lord does meet me with sweet tenderness and encouragement.  I am not walking in this valley without the hands of God carrying me through... I am walking this valley very much with Him even if it means I cry out to Him in my frustration and sometimes in my anger of not understanding. 

During this time, I have reached out to those who hold me accountable and who have walked this journey helping me in my pain to get up and face all that God has blessed me with... one of these faithful friends asked me this week if I have been reading in the Psalms and I said I haven't been, I shared with her where I had been reading.  She encouraged me to ask God to give me a Psalm to meditate on, and in His faithfulness he has given me more than one.  I will share just one of the passages He has led me to.  "Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my plea!  Answer me because you are faithful and righteous.  I am loosing hope; I remember the days of old.  I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done.  I lift my hands to you in prayer.  I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.  Come quickly Lord and answer me.  Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you.  Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.  Teach me to do your will for you are my God.  May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing."  (Bits and pieces of Psalm 143 NLT)

Since Adam's hospital stay last month we have made our way to Seattle, we have been able to find much needed rest and relaxation while still being around family and in surroundings very familiar to Adam.  Adam has been recovering well and continues to be under close watch and doctor supervision.  He has not been cleared for any traveling and even before we knew this we had come to the realization that being here is the best place for Adam in his current stage of recovery.  It is with a heavy heart and LOTS of prayer and tears that we have made the decision to make a permanent move to the west coast.  While I know it is the right thing to do, I am in so much grief.  Almost our entire married life has been walked out in North Carolina with God created family and many friends.  The thought of moving for me... well it just hurts. 

Psalm 145:17-20 "The Lord is righteous in everything he does, he is filled with kindness.  The Lord is close to all who call on Him, yes, to all who call on him in truth.  He grants the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cries for help and rescues them.  The Lord protects all those who love him."

Adam, Mackenzie, and I are moving back to the Seattle area.  We won't be able to do this without some much needed help and I am asking for you to prayerfully consider helping our family make this transition.  Whether you can commit to praying for us regularly or helping financially, or however God calls you to.  Contacting us via our PO box in North Carolina for right now is still the best way to reach us.  It won't be until fall that I will update with a new contact address.

Thank you for the cards and letters of encouragement we have received, they have been a continued source of comfort and encouragement, even if I have been unable to respond, please know that God has used your words to give strength and comfort when it has been needed the most.

Root's in August 2013

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Sweet Friend, I will comment more later, I just wanted you to know I REJOICE in "reading from you" again. I love you, Marion

Anonymous said...

You know, Dear One, It is absolute TRUTH, the best gifts come through pain. Our gift of eternal life came with a tremendous amount of pain. Yes, the pain of the cross, BUT also the pain felt in Heaven Jesus was crucified. Our dear Jesus had/has such a sweet relationship with His Father. When He turned His back because of our sin, that must have given Him pain almost as much as the pain of our sins on the cross. I have been doing a Beth Moore study on Revelation. One of her pictures that made Father and Jesus love so very real was this...Father had just created Adam. He looked for a moment at Jesus as if to say "You know once I breath life into our creation, Your dying on the cross is a done deal. They will fail." Yet They loved us enough to "go through with it". There is great wisdom in realizing just how Father wraps up His most precious gifts.
While it is a heart wrenching decision, I am sure your sweet family is glad to have you closer to them. You all seem to have a special relationship.
I love you guys and continue to trust Father for each of you.
Marion

Anonymous said...

My family continues to pray for all of you often. We do specifically pray for Adam's memory and will continue to do so. Thank you for letting us know how you are doing and about your move. We will be in prayer about that also.
Blessings in Christ,
Emily J.
I wish we would have had the opportunity to meet while you were still in NC. :o(

Anonymous said...

You will be SO missed in NC but we are glad God has now answered the question "where next?" We are comforted knowing that Jesus has a special part of His plan for The Root family that will take place in Seattle. That eases the missing you all.

In my Bible study this weekend Breaking Free by Beth Moore there is a beautiful description of the "peace that passes understanding" from Phil 4 that is offered to each of us on life's journey by our "Prince of Peace." Peace like a river is not peace like a pond with smooth still water ... a river is filled with rapids, rocks, tumultuous rides along with that occasional gentle flow...
But Amy, during these few years knowing your family, I'd say you've done an amazing job listening to Jesus your Saviour and coach.. and I'd give the Root family a Gold Medal for your Olympic ride through those rough waters. The Lord Jesus has taken you at your word in wanting to bring HIM GLORY !!
Thank you for allowing us to be on this journey with you. Daily our prayers continue for God's highest and best for your sweet family.
Love from all the Lewis family

Vicky Scott said...

We pray for you nightly. We understand a lot of what you are experiencing, having walked this road for over six years now. Of course there are many things we do not understand because we are not in your situation. I commend you, Amy, for walking the talk as they say and for the role models you have been to so very many. I know that I know that what we experience in this life is just prep for the next.. painful as is. I knew before you left for your West Coast journey that the Lord would send you back there... I know He has something very special in mind... We pray continually for the journey you must now take to achieve the next step. I pray for helping hands and hearts, for caring and giving hearts in both mind and in the physical.I pray you will continue to write the rest of the story and Give Thanks In ALL things... as we all must and should do. Bless you all.
Love,
Vicky, David and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

We'll continue to pray for you all. I know this isn't an easy decision to move to Seattle but I'm surprised "permanently" is still in your vocabulary. You know better than most that you'll go where He leads and we can't pretend to guess the future. YOu may one day be back here! Let us know how we can help with your move. Another packing party?

Praying for you my sweet friend,
Amy Jones

Doggie Den Daycare NC said...

I don't even know how to begin this .I was so glad to hear you where returning home. I know you had the support of the church, but even stronger is your family. Now you know who this is "I hope you have Goldie with you"! Don't leave her behind. Does Adam still have the Angel I gave him? Let us know when you depart....I feel for you all.

Sheri Halberg said...


Hi Amy -

I hope you see this ... I am way behind on reading your blog, as I have not been feeling well the past month. I am selfishly so surprised (and happy) to hear you are moving home. Please know I continue to PRAY! We are in your Mom's church directory if you ever need to call us directly for anything. I look forward to seeing you when you are able once you return to Seattle. Your burden has been SO great the past 3 years, but we know God's strength, grace and provision is even greater. We can't lose hope.

Sending you love and hugs -
Sheri

Anonymous said...

You all look amazing! You are always in my prayers, every single day. Love you all with all my heart.

My family and I will have a prayer night just for Adams memory next week. XO

Jenn in Orlando :)

Heather said...

Greetings! My name is Heather and I was hoping you could answer a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for you and lift each of you up to our Heavenly Father: for your peace and strength, for Adam's memory, and for daughter's resilience.

Lord, help!" they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves.
~ Psalm 107:28-29, NLT

Terri W (friend of Kathleen & Cale)