Monday, April 1, 2013

Heading Out West

Thank you all so much for your sweet words of encouragement, texts, emails, cards, and especially your prayers!  God has been so faithful, even though we have been walking through a valley, He has continued to carry me in the palm of His hands and I can honestly testify that He has kept me from becoming discouraged.  He has placed people in my path right when I have needed someone to pray with me and to encourage me to keep looking up, for it is where my help comes from.  Through His devine appointments He is showing me  His ways are higher, He is showing me continuously that He is ever so present and that He continues to have a plan for all of us.

God amazes me daily as I watch Adam continue to progress each and every day... His healing is present in Adam every day, and I recognize this as an incredible gift.  As Adam progresses we create new normals and with God's help we redefine what recovery looks like for Adam.  Some changes are easy, while others are difficult and challenging for all of us.  A few weeks ago, Adam's doctors and therapists agreed that Adam was progressing in ways that were surprising and wonderful, starting to recognize that something has happened to him and recognizing his memory loss.  His team suggested taking a break from all therapies except Speech therapy (speech therapy concentrates on cognitive and memory).  Their reasoning was to allow Adam more time to process and time to concentrate on his memory without such a crowded schedule. 

During this time, it was also proposed that we spend time in Oregon, where Adam's environment will be familiar to him.  I explained to his team that we spend Mackenzie's summer break out there (which isn't long because she is in year round school here).  Realizing we would only be there for a few weeks, their concern was more confusion for Adam.  Just a couple weeks could potentially be too short, not giving Adam's brain the time it needs to process change and all that has happened.  They suggested we consider a 3 month block of time minimum, and to look at it as the "rehab" Adam needs right now.  My initial reaction was "no way", I can't uproot Mackenzie from school again... it just seem like the right thing to do.  I spent quite a bit of time praying and seeking God's face in these suggested changes.  One evening (early morning), I was unable to sleep, so I got up and just spent time praying and seeking God's face... here is the Word I got...

Hebrews 10:35 & 36 "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."  My footnote explains it this way... The Bible gives us a clear choice between two life directions.  Because life often forks off in two directions, you must take the higher road, even though it looks more difficult and treacherous.  That road gets steep in place.  The climb takes a toll on your energy.  It gets lonely.  Not many on it, but more than you imagined, and some because of your example.  It gets slipper; Satan blows ice on the narrow passages.  Despite its dangers, the higher road is bound for the peak, and you'll make it.  God has a lifeline around you.  When you are tempted to falter in your faith or to turn back from following Christ, keep focused on what he has done for you and what he offers in the future.

I spent some time talking with Mackenzie about these potential changes and asked what she thought and she just wanted to be in Oregon with Gramps and Granny.  And so the decision has been made... we are leaving for Oregon in less than 2 weeks and with God's grace He has given me joy, peace, and excitement for all that He is going to do through this time.  Please pray for our family as we have a lot to get done in a very short amount of time, pray for health for our family (Mackenzie currently has the flu), and please pray for our safety as we will be driving to Oregon.

Mackenzie's happiest place, on the farm with Gramps.

 
Adam, Jack, and Mackenzie

Cookie and Adam

Mackenzie and Goldie
 
Cookie and Adam
 
Yes, Goldie will be traveling with us to the farm, she is going to love it!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us and we will be praying for your travels and a wonderful time of healing and progress for Adam. May the Lord continue to strengthen you daily as you love your husband.
Blessings in Christ,
Emily J.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Father is sure full of surprises. I will trust for your trip down...over, I mean. I will trust for travel safety and for health for each of you. I will trust your eyes and ears are opened so you can see and hear what Father has in store for you. I am grateful you are able to make the trip. I love you, Marion

Anonymous said...

Amy!
Don't you just love how the LORD uses His Word to confirm His plan!! What a wonderful testimony of His faithfulness, in a very specific way!! May the LORD bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you and give you His peace!!
Love you!
Val C.