Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love is... GOD

Happy Valentine's Day

Dear friends, let us love one another for love comes from God. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 1 John 4: 7,9-11

"What makes me beautiful to God is Jesus"  Tim Keller

I didn't grow up in a home where love freely flowed.  Love was a foreign concept to me.  I thought as long as I "felt" love for someone than that was what love was.  This also meant that in order to "feel" loved I had to "earn" the "feeling" of someone else's love, love never seemed to be unconditional.  The idea that God loves me, truly loves me and cherishes me has taken awhile to sink in.  Love is so much more than something I "feel", it's how I respond and walk daily through this life, it's allowing God who IS LOVE to reign in me for all to see. 

In April of 2010 just a month before Adam's injury I was home in Seattle for a short week... most of that week I spent in bed sick with the stomach flu, but as I laid in bed, I wrestled so many thoughts.  Before I left for Seattle I had heard a sermon on the gifts of the spirit that didn't seem to line up with the truth in the Bible.  (A quick side note... I believe that there is a great misuse of God's gifts, but I do believe that ALL of the gifts of the Spirit are alive today, because God says in His word "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Hebrews 13:8)  I laid in bed and I knew the Holy Spirit was prompting me to explore His love, and the gifts mentioned in His word... and that is just what I did. 

Before I came to this reconciliation in my side note above, I was questioning and the validity of the sermon I had heard and trying to line it up in God's word.  This led me to even question God's love for me... did He really love me.  How do I truly know He loves me if I can't always feel Him near me, does this mean it has passed on too?  All these questions began to rise... this led me on a near 5 week excursion through God's love note, His word, and every moment of every day in these 5 weeks leading up to Adam's injury God revealed His deep, unending, compassionate, fierce love for me.  My journal reveals His pursuit of me and His wooing me with every passing day.  Knowing what was going to come in a little over a month, I believe the Holy Spirit was preparing my heart so that I would NOT question God's love for me in our journey and question I will not.

He continues to woo me in His word daily, what has happened to our family may seem like tragedy to most, but I see it as a beautiful love story daily unfolding before my eyes.  God reaches me tangibly and loves me abundantly through His word and through the innocence of Adam.  Adam might not always know who I am, but the Holy Spirit residing in Adam knows me by name and because perfect love casts out fear, Adam loves me without fear even if there is some confusion in his flesh, there is no confusion in his spirit and love flows from God and pours into my soul... BECAUSE GOD IS LOVE.

Love is not a feeling, love is God.  Love came down and was born so that I can KNOW love.  Not know what love is, but KNOW LOVE.

To earnestly love others we much first know Love.  It is through God's supernatural, unconditional, unending love for us that we can love others and love them beyond ourselves.  My challenge to all of you, open the sweetest Love story of all time, God's Word, and allow Him to fill you with His love, be immersed by His love for you... there is no doubt how much He truly loves us.

These are flowers that were on my front door step with a card signed "With my unfailing love, God"  This is how much God loves us... He even shows us tangibly that He is always thinking of us and He loves us!  His grace and presence is all around, open our hearts to know and see your grace and presence that is all around us... Amen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said sweet friend. How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God !

So thankful to be a part of the Root family's outpouring of love for God, for one another, and for others !!

Happy Valentine's Day, Jan

Anonymous said...

Thank you...that is precious and so true. What a beautiful couple you are together.
Praying in Sanford,
Emily J.

Anonymous said...

Dear One, Thank you for putting words to thoughts that swim in my mind. Father is LOVE. I know Father, I know love....not necessarily feel it at all times BUT know it at ALL times. I love you and am honored to be a part of your journey, Marion

Jewel said...

Beautiful encouragement to see the Holy Spirit underneath the flesh in people. Brought tears to my eyes:)