Thursday, March 1, 2012

March is Brain Injury Awareness Month

WOW!!!  It feels so good to be writing again!!!  The Lord called me into a sacred time with Him the last few weeks and have been so incredibly blessed by the messages He has written on my heart (and in my journal!!!).  I know God is writing these sweet messages on my heart because His word tells me so.  Deuteronomy 11:18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  This verse speaks of the importance of memorizing scripture.  I often feel like I can't cram one more thing into my brain.  Often I say Adam's brain is the one that's injured, but mine is officially MIA.  It makes it difficult to memorize scripture when my head is so bogged down with so much consistently.   I started carrying note cards of scripture with me early on in this journey.  I am always switching out my note cards depending on what God is writing on my heart and depending on the season in the journey.  I can't tell you how blessed I have been to carry the note cards and reference to them when I start thinking about the scripture verses I read in the morning, but can't seem to recall by afternoon.  After reading the note cards several times, usually the scripture comes more quickly to my tongue and much more quickly in my thoughts.

Where do I even begin after this long of a sabbatical from blogging... How about I start with WELCOME TO BRAIN INJURY AWARENESS MONTH.  March is brain injury awareness month and there is a lot going on...

First off, if you emailed us about the Walk and Roll a thon at the end of this month we were having some technical difficulty so it has taken a little bit to get up and running again.  If you have not heard back from us, please email now, we are up and running.

For those just tuning in, the Brain Injury Association of North Carolina is hosting their annual Walk and Roll a thon March 31st at 9am at Lake Crabtree Park and we have been putting together a team to specifically walk for Adam.  So please join our ROOT FOR ADAM team by emailing adamrootfamily@gmail.com  Help us meet our goal of 50 for Adam's team.  We are praying also for either a company or a private donor to donate tee shirts for all those who walk for the ROOT FOR ADAM team... so you if this is something you are interested in, please also email. If you cannot walk but would like to contribute please also email and we will get you connected with our paypal link.  This is a fundraiser for the Brain Injury Association of North Carolina, this is not specifically for Adam.

THIS WEDNESDAY MARCH 7th California Pizza Kitchen in Raleigh, Durham, and Charlotte will be donating 20% of their proceeds to the Brain Injury Association of North Carolina.  Please come out and have a fun dinner with friends or family and contribute to a great cause while enjoying your meal!   

Adam's fundraiser will be held in May and I will keep you posted as details are made.  We are still seeking people to help with the fundraiser as well as someone to step up and coordinate putting the event all together.  We are blessed to have a venue and an idea, but we are looking for volunteers to help facilitate our ideas and make them realities!

Lots of events and fun ways to get involved.  If you are not able to help with any of these events please consider joining your state's brain injury association.  The Brain Injury Association of North Carolina as been vital to our families ability to obtain the proper resources and connections to make Adam's recovery a success as well as offering our entire family the support needed to endure and persevere through each day of this journey.  Find out more information at http://www.bianc.net/ or by calling 800-377-1464.  For an annual membership it's $38.00 that's about 10 cents a day to help so many families.

I just want to encourage any family with a loved one who is administered medications somewhere other than at home, whether it's at school, a facility, or even a hospital to know their loved ones medications and to be there when their loved one is getting medications to ensure they are receiving the proper medications.  I can't tell you how extremely vital this is.  I am blessed enough to be able to be with my man so much and I know his medications like the back of my hand, we have been able to save Adam from quite a few medication mishaps.   This week has been another week of advocating for Adam to ensure his safety.  Saving him from a serious medication mishap, thankful that the Lord ALWAYS has His mighty hand upon my man.   Unfortunately, medication mishaps are all too common in the health care profession, it's one of the leading causes of medical negligence and unnecessary health complications.  I just really want to stress the importance of staying involved and advocating for your loved one.

Tomorrow I will write an update on our family and all that has been going on with Adam's progress.  For now I just wanted to inform you all on Brain Injury Awareness month! AND, the importance of memorizing scripture, write it on a note card if you have to, but carry with you the love letters God has written on your heart.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have checked EVERYDAY for updates. I knew Father was doing something special when I saw Feb. 11th again and again. It's good to touch base with you. I love you and continue to trust Father for you and your sweet family. Marion