Sunday, January 1, 2012

Unpluged And In Tune... Happy New Year

I have spent much of the last 2 weeks completely unpluged.  For the most part other than out of complete necessity I left my laptop alone and my phone unanswered!  It's amazing how much more my thoughts were focused in prayer than what I needed to do next. 

I really spent a lot of time reflecting on the last year and half and how amazing God's faithfulness truly is.  He has not only carried us through each moment of every day, but He has also equiped us for what each day brings.  For those of you who have walked this journey with us know that this has not been an easy road, but the lessons that have come from it and the intimacy with the Lord that I have gained... makes me so thankful for the journey, makes me thankful for my man and my kiddo, and leaves me in complete awe of the mighty God we serve.

The Bible commands us to be still, but how often do we take the time to be still and listen, knowing that God is right here with us, sitting with us, whispering in our ears, and holding us when we feel alone.  The last 2 weeks I have had the opportunity to just sit, be still and quiet before the Lord and listened as He has reminds me that He has prepared the 3 of us for this journey, listened as He has reminded me that He has mighty plans for His mighty warrior, listened to Him reminding me that the only way I will make it through each day is allowing Him to carry me, giving me His strength for each moment.  This journey is far too hard, to painful, and to overwhelming to do any of it on my own.  Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

Christmas Eve I was sitting at Adam's parents house and I knew the Lord was speaking to me... I excused myself and went for a walk in the darkness of the night.  As I walked I felt the Lord comfort me, I know he was letting me know that we still have a long road ahead of us, but that He is going before us.  What I didn't know was how much I was going to need this the following day... Christmas morning as Adam and I were getting ready for the day, Adam suffered a massive Grand Mal Seizure which landed us back in a hospital.  Having had the walk the night before with the Lord, I was able to remain completely calm, and completely in Him.  As I road with Adam in the back of the ambulance I just prayed, asking God for obedience for what is still yet to come.  It took a couple of hours before Adam became responsive again, I laid with Adam on the hosptial bed and just reminded him of the warrior God is making him into.  In the book of Judges is the story of Gideon... Gideon was no warrior, but God made Him a mighty warrior and I know He is doing the same in my man. 

I'm not always sure of why we have to endure so much on this journey, but one thing I am certain of... God is using it in a MIGHTY way.

In the last year and a half Adam has been through 13 surgeries, 10 months in a coma, 1 lifeflight, 2 medflights, 7 hospitals across the nation, made it home after 16 months in a hospital,  learned how to walk and talk again, has began writing, reading, and typing, his initation sparked a silver alert... and I'm sure there is so much more that I can't think to write.  Mackenzie and I have lived in 3 states, Mackenzie attending 3 schools in three states in one school year (yes, she is one of my heros!), survived 5 blizzards, one hurricane, one earthquake, and the beginning of middle school.  We succesfully (with the help of MANY) moved into our own home for the first time in 19 months.  We are constantly surrounded my incredible, amazing friends, and we a great family support (even if they're miles away).  WE HAVE SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR AND GOD IS SO GOOD!  I am excited to see what 2012 will bring for our family, one thing is for sure... miracles happen every day and I can't wait to see the miracles that this year will bring.  Happy New Year!

I want to thank WRAL for choosing our story as one of the most memorable of 2011, they chose 5 to feature last week and our story was picked.  Thank you! http://www.wral.com/news/local/page/10452891/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my Sweet Amy, I have checked your blog everyday (PRAYED EVERYDAY). I kind of thought you must have taken a much needed break. You are one of my heroes. I praise God He prepaired you for Christmas day. For my part, I don't question Father's "right" to do what He did, I do admit to tears and not understanding why. Like you said, He has some reason, some plan. My heart is so full for you tonight, I am not sure what to say. I love you, and I continue to TRUST Father for each of you. You know, one thing I am thankful for, you were around your family and they were able to be with you during this time. Marion

Anonymous said...

I was so grateful to see your latest post. You are an inspiration to me with your faith. My husband had a head injury in 2000. He was only unconsicous for 3 months and it is definitely a roller coaster ride. Keep the faith, it does get better each day. May your new year be filled with joy each day
Kay

Anonymous said...

Missing you already! I will see you again soon. God has you ALL wrapped up in the palm of His caring, strong hand. Rest in that!

Love you lots,
Mom

Emily Jordan said...

It was so good to see a post from you and get an update. I understand your need for the quiet before the Lord, but in my own selfishness I was glad to see a post from you today! :o) I am so sorry about the seizure. I cannot imagine how hard that must be to see. I am praying for you all.
Blessings and Happy New Year,
Emily Jordan

autumn weikert said...

Dear Amy,
I agree with you in not always understanding the why behind the enduring. Although I do know the depth of your love for Christ and His body has gone to such a deep level this past year. I remember you telling us that seizures are not completely bad for Adam because I think you said, it is his brain rewiring. Even so my heart went to my throat when I read what happened. I continue in prayer for your family and love you dearly. Autumn