Friday, January 6, 2012

Unpacking, Praying, and Believing In HOPE

Well this week I have been digging myself out of boxes.  It's been a little overwhelming, living on so little over the last year and half while most of our belongings have been in storage to now having all of our belongings under one roof.

I knew unpacking would not be easy, both physically and emotionally... and I was right, it's been a little more difficult than I even expected.  I have come across so much of my man... from his hobbies to his projects he was in the middle of when his accident occurred.  I have unpacked many of the sweet things he has given me but the most priceless item I have come across was the anniversary card he gave me just 8 and half months before his injury.  With his permission I share what he wrote... "Dear Amy, I'm so blessed to be here with you.  I know it got a little hard, but this has been the best year of my life, thanks to you.  You really are my everything.  You are a gift from God, and a great one at that.  I love you dearly, Adam."  Reading this was hard but at the same time provided me with the encouragement I needed.  I love my man and he is my gift from above.  I am so blessed he picked me to be his wife, our journey has not been easy, but God is faithful and with His strength, He has seen us through this far, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for us.

Adam, Mackenzie, and I have both loved getting used to our new home and I speak for all 3 of us when I say we all feel so blessed, having a home is truly a sign of God's faithfulness and that He is our Jehovah Jirah my provider.

It's been interesting to watch Adam this week as he has nicely fallen back into our routine and schedule.  Many of those who are around him during the day, therapists, management, and the everyday care givers of Learning Services have commented how wonderful it has been to see Adam's expressions this week.  That is one way we have seen God work this week in Adam's recovery is seeing appropriate facial expressions more often.  Praise the Lord for the healing that has taken place and that is taking place!!!  If I could ask for one prayer request it would be this... Adam struggles with aphasia.  Aphasia is is an impairment of language ability. This class of language disorder ranges from having difficulty remembering words to being completely unable to speak, read, or write.  Adam mainly struggles with remembering the right words and communicating effectively because he is unable to find the words he is looking for.  This has caused a great deal of frustration for him, because he knows what he's trying to say and doesn't understand why I don't always get what he's trying to communicate.

Talking with Adam's speech therapist she explained to me that most people who have a diagnosis of aphasia do not overcome it and it's usually something that most people will struggle with their whole lives.  HOWEVER... My God is bigger than Adam's brain injury and even bigger than a diagnosis of aphasia, so I can't wait to see how God will defy this diagnosis!  I hold onto, hope for, and believe that God will completely restore Adam and heal him from this injury.  So aphasia is just one more stumbling block in the road to recovery.  Please pray specifically this week that who Christ's strength residing in Adam, he will be able to overcome and show NO signs of aphasia.  I can't wait to see God's hands at work.  NOTHING is impossible for him.  I will not loose hope, Romans 5:5 says And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.  Knowing the Holy Spirit is with us, and in us I know God is at work in Adam and there is so much to hope for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right Amy! God is bigger than the challenges that seem to come your way! You know it and so does Satan! He trembles at your faithfulness and also as you cling tightly to the truth in Jesus! The Lord is your hope and He is your peace! VICTORY prevails! I will be holding you, Adam, and Mackenzie in prayer.

Love you lots,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Well, That therapist just gave Father another opportuity to show HIS majesty and for Him to be glorified!! Every time you have written of DR'S prognosis', Father has done what He wants...not whaat man has said. :) I, with you am excited to see what He has in store for all of you. May you find blessings untold in your new home. I love you guys and continue to pray/TRUST for you, Marion

Kathleen said...

Amy,

Cale also struggles and was diagnosed with Aphasia. I wish that I could tell you that since they've diagnosed him, he's been healed of it fully, but I can't say that quite yet. What I can say is that he has progressed in mighty way in that area! His therapist continue to be amazed at how far he has come. For someone that doesn't spend a lot of time with him, they have a really hard time understanding what he's saying, BUT in many cases now he is able to communicate clearly and when he can't find the right word or it comes out in jibberish, he's aware (most times) and will try to fix it. I guess all that to say, that Cale is daily taking steps to overcome still! And he's doing good just like I know Adam will! We still pray for you guys! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Just loved rewatching the interview that we recorded from the Top stories of WRAL. I was reminded again of the beauty of someone whose eyes shine with the love of Jesus and the Hope that comes from belonging to Him forever and ever.. and that my dear is you and that sweet Adam. Your love story with Jesus and one another is so BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to see the progress that will come as we pray for Adam to have the ability to communicate clearly everything God has for him to say! Love, Jan