Sunday, January 15, 2012

Catching Up

Didn't Mackenzie do a great job! Thank you for all those that commented and left her messages, I know that meant a lot to her.  It encourages us to want to keep writing.

Over the holidays and for the last month, I spent a lot of time in prayer regarding this blog.  I wasn't sure if I should continue it and I was seeking direction.  There have been many nights this blog has been therapeutic for me and there are times when I am called to bare my soul and that is very difficult to do to strangers and to the world wide web (although many of you strangers have become friends!).  I can't tell you how many times I have met someone who says to me, "I feel like I know you", after giving it some thought... I realized they do know me, they know some of the deepest most intimate parts of my soul, they know my love for Jesus, my love for my man, and my love for my kiddo... these three things make up my whole life and all that is important to me.

After many hours in prayer I clearly received the message that I am to continue to share this journey, I am to continue to walk this journey out loud baring my naked soul.  So thank you for walking the most difficult journey of my life with me, thank you for taking the time to get to know me and my family... for praying for us for the last 19 months and thank you for your prayers that are yet to come.  Thank you for your words of encouragement, your notes, cards, pictures, emails, texts, facebook messages, and care packages... you all have blessed us so much.

Since it's been awhile since I have sat down and really given a good update and updated a prayer list I wanted to take the time to do that now.

Adam has made some significant gains.  I honestly believe the Lord has worked Adam's grand mal seizure Christmas day for His good and His glory.  He used it to shake somethings loose.  Adam has began talking in complete sentences that are making cognitive sense.  This is HUGE, PRAISE THE LORD!  Since posting last week for you all to pray specifically for Adam's Aphasia, he has made some gains.  He was able to communicate this weekend effectively and even sent a video to his mom singing Happy Birthday to her, he sang the whole song without assistance and with tone fluctuation!  This is HUGE!  PRAISE THE LORD, He is healing Adam one neuron at a time!

Remember way back when... when his therapists at WakeMed told me he would most likely always be a max assist of 2 people (this meaning it would always take 2 people to move Adam in and out of bed and in and out of his wheelchair and most likely never have a life outside of the 2), well I have news for them... Adam no longer needs assistance, he is mobile all on his own, he is able to sit down, stand up, get in and out of bed, the car, and go where ever he desires. (We keep him well supervised, but he does it himself).  Again, PRAISE THE LORD, this is HUGE healing!

Adam is becoming more independent by the week, this last week I barely had to help him in the shower and with his ADL's (activities of daily living: brushing teeth, getting dressed, getting showered, that sort of thing).  He only needed verbal reminders what to do next in his routine but needed no physical assistance!  PRAISING THE LORD! This is the Lord at work in my man!

I honestly feel so blessed that I can sit here and share so many wonderful miracles with you.  We serve a mighty, powerful, capable God and to Him be the glory for all that He has done, all that He is doing and all that is yet to come.

Adam still has a long road ahead of him, I believe the Lord can heal Adam any day and time... but I also know He has prepared us for whatever this journey holds.  Adam biggest struggle is with his memory.  (Aphasia is part of it)  I have been told that the memory comes back last, but I know my God is bigger than Adam's brain injury and I know He can choose to restore Adam's memory with no sign of an injury if He chooses.  I am praying and believing and approaching the throne of grace with confidence of Him restoring Adam's memory.  Please pray specifically for Adam's memory to be restored fully.

I learned Friday that Adam's brain has triggered some Parkinson's disease responses in Adam's motor skills.  Adam uses these responses as some protective measures for him and this is normal in patients that have suffered as severe of an injury as Adam has.  The doctors are going to watch this and monitor he responses over a matter of time.  I mention this only as another prayer request of FULL restoration, healing above and beyond what we could imagine or even hope for.

Please continue to pray for Adam's muscle tone.  It's been awhile since I have mentioned this, but Adam still fights a frustrating battle with muscle tone.  He has a difficult time walking like you and I, heal toe heal toe.  Adam tends to walk on his toes because when he puts his heals down he feels like he's going to fall backwards and most of this is due to muscle tone.  It has gotten much better, his left foot comes down all the way, but his right side is still a battle.  (Remember his left side of his brain suffered the most trauma so it causes much more weakness on the right side of his body.)  Please pray that he will experience FULL restoration of his muscles, that one day there will show NO sign of any muscle atrophy.

I do feel so incredibly blessed that I get to witness miracles on a daily basis just by watching my man do the unexpected, the impossible.  I love watching God work through my man and I know He has only just begun.  I know it's been a long journey and I know so many of you have been so faithful to our journey, please keep praying and watching what the Lord is doing.  He is doing a mighty work in His mighty warrior!  Just tonight Adam prayed "Dear Heavenly Lord, please help my left side so that I can eat and drink from you.  I'll see you soon.  In your name, Amen."  Isn't this amazing!  This is how I know and see God at work EVERY day!  Every day Adam continues to make gains and progress... thank you for praying, thank you for walking this journey with us, and thank you for taking the time to get to know me, my heart and my soul.

Deuteronomy 10:14 And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul

Please pray the above verse for and over the 3 of us, Adam, myself, and Mackenzie.

We are standing in anticipation for what God is going to do this week and for the healing that is going to take place this week.  Thank you for believing with us, for standing agreeing with us, and for sharing this journey with us.

PS: Sorry for not posting recent pictures lately, we are having computer problems and at the moment there doesn't seem to be a fix to it.  I will post pictures when I can.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Amy ~
As much as you thank us for walking this excruciating journey with you these past 20 months, you have equally blessed all of us who have the privilege of reading your blog! Your steadfast faith and love of the Lord has increased my faith and trust in God, too. What a gift that is ... thank you. So nothing we go through is wasted ... God uses all if it to touch others' lives as well. Sending you hugs and much love from here (and a snowball or two ~ we have 6 inches of snow on the ground at our house in Snohomish, WA.) :)

God bless you, sweet sister ~
Love, Sheri

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing your journey here with this blog, i can only imagine how difficult it must be to post sometimes, like after a long or a hard day. please don't pressure youselve about what or when you post. be free.

i want to let you know that i'm grateful for you blog. it chanced my prayer routine (almost non existant before i stumbled over your blog)and revolutionized my walk with God. Thank you. it means a lot to me to know how you folks are doing as i try to pray for you on a daily basis. i'm happy if you are happy and i ask God to give you an extra hug if you have sorrows. thank you for your update on adam, it is always good to know specific things to pray for. it's great that his speech has improved over the last weeks and watch out there is more to come :) i like that we can pray for our sis & bros and that God knows exactly who we mean. this is something very neat. imagine God would not know it or mix it up... that would make things complicated :)

i wish you guys all the best and a nice day that is filled with good things.

anita

(my english isn't great this morning)

Emily Jordan said...

Dear Amy--
Thank you so much for the update and how we can more specifically pray for Adam. I am so glad that you did not decide to stop blogging. You have touched my life in so many ways from this blog and God is using you to touch many! I know sometimes it must be hard to find the time to blog but it so helps and inspires your readers! We would miss your posts! Thank you for sharing your world with us. It is an honor to pray for you all!
Emily Jordan

Anonymous said...

I love it when you post pictures, BUT I truly enjoy it when you write. I must say, I am glad you are going to continue to write. I would have felt like part of my heart is missing if I didn't get to read your blog occasionaly. I love you and continue to trust Father for each of you. Marion

Jody said...

Keep believing as you are! You are no wave tossed to and fro - you are standing firmly on His Word and while all the many prayers from others having enabled our God to work in Adam, you are at the crux of them all and your believing is allowing Him to work in some mighty and amazing ways! I know these miracles are just a glimpse of God's praise "well done, good and faithful servant."

Karie Garner said...

Amy,
Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into this blog at one of the hardest times in your life. You have been so unselfish and so obedient to the Lord by using your situation to encourage and share Christ with others. You have certainly been an encouragement and an inspiration to me and I have told so many people about your blog and about your story. God is using you in a tremendous way. You have such a gift and I have no doubt that God will continue to use you in ways that you can't even imagine. You are sooooo gifted, seriously!! You can put your heart and your thoughts into words and they make such an impact on others. Your blog posts are interesting, engaging and so well thought out and written. Keep up the good work and be assured that you are doing something great for the Kingdom. I pray you will be blessed over and over in unbelievable ways because of your sacrificial obedience.

Karie

Anonymous said...

Amy, I am so glad you are going to continue your blog it has been so meaningful to me. I'm glad I'm catching up today so I can once again become more specific in my prayers.

Love, Aunt Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Our family prays for you and Adam and MacKenzie regularly. Your faith in God and love for your husband are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Kathy
Everett, WA