Saturday, October 22, 2011

Prayer Life Part 2

In the last blog post I mentioned how God has been working on my prayer life... this has led me to look at Jesus' prayer life.  The Bible talks about Jesus' prayer life and I wanted to study it, to see what the example God's Son has set forth.

During many times in His life, Jesus withdrew from His disciples and the crowds to be alone to pray. He often went up on a mountainside or went to solitary or lonely places to pray. Sometimes He even went to pray very early in the morning, while it was still dark.  Often I think I'm tired, but when I look at Jesus' life, he must have known exhaustion too, yet He still made His prayer life a priority.  In all 4 of the Gospel books of the Bible Jesus' prayer life is mentioned.

Matthew 14:23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone

Mark 6:46 After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.

Luke 5:16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Luke 6:12 One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.

John 6:15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.


I'm not sure how many topics are discussed in ALL 4 Gospel books, but I know they have my attention when I can see it as clearly as this.  Time alone with God, praying is vital to our relationship with God.
These habits of Jesus teach us some important truths about prayer. Though I may pray while in a group, with a friend, or in a prayer meeting, there is a great need to get alone to pray.  Finding a place within our home or elsewhere, where we will be free from disturbance and where we can be alone with God is important. Though the company of believers is helpful for fellowship, for some intense moments of prayer, one needs to be alone. That is why Jesus got up early and also went to solitary places to pray.

Psalm 23:2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.  It is in such undisturbed quietness that our souls will be ready for sweet communion with God our Father. For often God does not shout His messages to us, but gently whispers them to us. And God will speak thus only to those who have shut down every other sound and every other presence to hear the voice of God.

One thing I know for myself, my soul has to cry out to God... One can have the assurance that God hears it all and answers them all. Therefore let us continue to pray.


 
I am blessed to be able to see so many of your prayers and my prayers being heard and answered by God, just by watching Adam's journey, watching God restore Adam.  Adam is doing incredible and still amazes so many medical professionals.  I know that this is a way that God is showing His power, His might, His miracles, and His love... it's all coming out through my man.  Please keep praying for my man's journey to FULL restoration.  Pray that with every doctor appointment that is yet to come that Adam will continue to baffle the doctors with His progress and that the doctors eyes and hearts would be open to the mighty God we serve.
 
Tomorrow I will share pictures from our day today and the wonderful and beautiful day we shared with the Lewis', what a blessing of a day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you, Amy. Thank you for sharing the study on Jesus' prayer life. Father is speaking to me as well, about prayer time being alone. I belong to BSF (Bibile Study Fellowship) group here where I live. I like doing my homework alone because it so often causes me to pray about things that come to mind. I continue to trust Father for you and your sweet family. Marion

Blog Archive