Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Adjusting My Prayer Life

If you have been following this blog long or know me then you have probably realized I am not a quick learn, that's why I think when God is trying hard to teach me a lifestyle change, or to know Him more, He usually sends multiple messages, in many different ways.  Lately God has really been sending me messages about prayer, the importance of prayer, and through these messages it has made me evaluate my prayer life. I have been getting the message loud and clear for the last week... from billboards, church signs, even down to the book I've been listening to in the car.  Prayer is as vital as breathing.

I pray that God will  show me daily how to come before Him.  I don't want to busy myself so much that my mind is so cluttered with so many other thoughts, that prayer isn't one of them.  This has happened to me before, I can't even begin to tell you the despair I was in.  I don't even want to experience that ache and loss I felt from grieving the Holy Spirit by not talking to God. My prayer life as a believer will always be a work in progress, but I am so thankful that wants to communicate with me so badly that I can talk to Him directly.  The despair went away almost immediately when I was able to hand God my heart in prayer. There's that old saying "life is fragile, handle with prayer", there is defiantly something to be said for that. 

Jesus sets an amazing example of not only the importance of prayer, but of seeking God out in prayer and time with Him.  Several times the Bible mentions how Jesus went away from the crowds and His disciples and prayed.  Luke 5:16 says "But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."  Giving this some thought, I asked myself, how often do I withdraw from the business of of everyday life to pray... the answer, not enough.  This is something that I am trying very hard to do.  I want, I desire this time with my Lord, it is now a priority.  No matter how busy I get or how full my mind fills with thoughts, God is showing me that prayer is a priority and can always be accomplished no matter the task at hand.

There is power in prayer and God does answer prayers, our family is living, walking, talking proof of that.  This evening Adam and I had the amazing privilege to cook together. Adam and I worked side by side chopping up vegetables for soup, Adam even made the broth. I cherished this time together. Prior to Adam's injury we spent many hours in the kitchen cooking side by side and the fact that we were able to do this today, is evidence that God answers prayers.

Please join me in continuing to pray for my man's FULL restoration.  Your prayers are being heard, and God is answering them. 

Thank you so much for you all your prayers, this is the greatest gift we have ever received and it continues to be our greatest need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waiting for the pies! Yeah Adam! Blessings to you ALL. Miss you lots.

Love, Mom/Karen/Grandma

Anonymous said...

I think Father is waking "The Sleeping Giant". Right now I am in the study of Acts. Our theme today was PRAYER!! We Christians have been asleep tooooooo long. If we utilized the POWER we have in prayer...well, lets just say things would be VERY DIFFERENT!! I love you and rejoice with you, Marion

Anonymous said...

I have not commented for a long time but read and pray daily for all of you and do see clearly that God is restoring Adam. What I was going to say is that I am waiting for the pies, and I see your mom beat me to it!
Diane

Blog Archive