Sunday, September 11, 2011

Power In Giving Thanks

As I continue to work on my list of all the things I am thankful (there is so much to be thankful for), one thing that made my list for sure, was weekends and getting a few more hours of sleep! 

Giving thanks in my difficult moments helps me to keep my focus on the amazing miracles and the many ways God has provided for our family.  It takes my focus from what's missing to the many blessings.  I was talking with a close friend today who mentioned to me that there were moments over the last few days where she felt annoyed and frustrated with her husband and she said she shifted her focus to the many qualities she is so grateful for.  She said once she shifted her focus, it's amazing how much contentment she has felt and the love she feels for her man.  There is so much power in keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus and what we have to be thankful for.  Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

I am giving thanks for how for God has brought my man!  This week Adam started transferring himself to and from the car to his wheelchair!  Every day Adam is getting stronger and more independent.  I am so proud of him.  I love that God is so faithful and so amazing that He continues to have His hand upon Adam's healing so that we can see new things all the time.  Praise the Lord for all that He has done!  My man was told he would never speak again, or understand language... he's talking and able to process and understand, my man was told that he most likely wouldn't walk again... he's walking, my man was told that he would always need 24 hour nursing and most likely never be able to live at home... my man needs no regular nursing care and is living at home!  My man was told that he would always need maximum assistance of 2 people for his transfers... today he transferred himself in and out of the car multiple times!  We serve a mighty God, who is doing mighty things in my man's healing!  There is so much to be thankful for.

P.S.  Congratulations to our good friend Matt Ciancarelli for completing the Iron Man race today!  We are so proud of you!!! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, MY!! I am so proud of Adam...you, too, though. Yes we have amighty God, and He could do the work on His own, BUT HE CHOSE YOU to help acomplish His miracles in Adam's life. I know there are those who would left there man because they would have felt overwhelmed and just couldn't do it. Then they would expect a person to feel sorry for them and understand. :( NOT SO, AMY ROOT. For that, I am so proud of you. I love you and continue to trust Father for you and your sweet family. Marion

Anonymous said...

I stand in awe with you, Amy, on how far God has brought your Adam. I pray for you all more than you know ... I know God has even more amazing things in store for your sweet family! I'm praying for dear Mackenzie, too, and for a great school year ahead with "divine appointments" as far as new friends are concerned for her. God bless all of you ...

Love, Sheri Halberg
(Snohomish, WA.)

Anonymous said...

Amy, girlfriend, you've got the "encourage one another and build each other up" Scriptures just rolling out of you!! And it's obviously there in Adam too to give him that prayer he prayed for you, and the courage to just keep pressing forward to regain his strength. I imagine that Adam's strength in his inner man would probably bring us to tears if we could peek inside his heart. And your kiddo, she's amazing. We are praying for fabulous friends to come alongside her this year. Each person that has been involved in your family's journey is blessed by your words, your courage, your honesty. We're asking boldly before His throne for you and we are LOVING watching those prayers being answered. Love,
Jan and Wayne

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you, I got my first Pumpkin Spice Latte last Sunday. YUM!!! Marion

Blog Archive