Friday, September 16, 2011

My God IS Bigger

A couple of days ago, I mentioned an article that ran in our local paper.  This article just frustrated me as it illustrated the "benefits" of living together rather than a covenant vow, this particle was featuring a couple in their 80's. 

For the past 4 years I have been extremely passionate about one particular chapter of the Bible... Titus 2.  To paraphrase, it talks about the older, wiser ones of the church to mentor the younger generation.  Having mentors in marriage, in parenting, in spiritual growth... is crucial to our growth.

Titus 2:3-5  Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

Shortly after Adam and I got married, I craved a Godly example of marriage.  I wanted to see a relationship that was Christ centered, thriving and growing more passionately about God and about their spouse.  I did not grow up in a house that set this as an example, in fact much of the opposite, my parents (before they divorced) really despised one another.  Like me, many of my friends grew up without a biblical example of marriage... I can speak for several of my close friends, we want the wiser women of the church to mentor us.  We want to see their marriages growing and thriving in God... we want to know how we can grow in that as well.  So I prayed that God would bring Titus 2 women into my life.  He is so faithful, God has blessed me with AMAZING Titus 2 women.  Women that I admire their walks with the Lord, their marriages, and I cherish their wisdom they share with me.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but about 3 months after Adam and I were married I stated what I call my "Love Notebook", Adam would always refer to it as my diary.  I personally never saw it as a diary, and those who know me, I have shared my notebook with you. I would print off articles, cut out articles, any little stories I could find that I knew help me in growing and becoming a Godly wife.  I would categorize them and file them in my notebook, often rereading them.  Every letter or note my man wrote me is found in my love notebook.  Many of my written prayers for my marriage are in this book.  And anything special that God has revealed to me and shared with me about marriage is kept in it as well.  This has really helped me to grow and keep my thoughts focused on God's view of marriage. 

About a year before Adam's injury, my best friend Debbie (who by the way also has a love notebook) and I decided to interview women we saw to be Titus 2 women.  We sat down with many ladies married 25 years or more and asked them questions regarding their faith, their marriages, and life.  I cherish my notes from each of these ladies and reread our interviews through many times.  The wisdom that I have gleaned through these interviews is one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me.

I do encourage you, whether male or female... seek out a Titus 2 mentor.  There is so much that God will reveal to you through their wisdom.

WHAT A WEEK...

I'm sorry I haven't been good about blogging this week, it's been one CRAZY week!  Let me start with Wednesday... Adam's team at work (his real job prior to his injury) asked if he would be up for stopping in for a visit.  We scheduled it for Wednesday since Adam was going to miss therapy due to a doctor's appointment.  We were so blessed that so many of them have been keeping up on our blog and following Adam's amazing road to recovery!  His lead also presented him with Adam's 5 year award, so that was really special.  Adam also sat in and had lunch with his coworkers just like he had always done before.  Thanks everyone, we had a great time!

Next it was off to UNC to see Dr. Ewend, Adam's neurosurgeon.  I think he was pretty surprised to see how far Adam has come.  He followed every command he was asked to do and answered all of their questions.  It was neat to see such a joyful expression on Dr. Ewend's face.  Adam also was cleared by Dr. Ewend to only have to go on an as needed basis.  Adam is stable and doing so amazing, there is no need for ongoing visits.

After his appointment it was time for a walk down memory lane... we headed towards the ICU where Adam spent a little more than 4 months.  Since he is walking so well, I asked if he wanted to walk to meet his doctors and nurses or be pushed in his chair... he said walk and I could not have agreed more.  In we went, Adam walked into the ICU to be greated with disbelieving looks, tears of joy, and unforgettable reactions.  It was emotional and amazing!  Adam shook hands with his doctors, hugged his nurses and blew everyone away!  TO GOD BE THE GLORY, MY GOD IS BIGGER... SEE!!!!

And today, we ended our week with an appointment Adam's neurophsycolgist who was astonished the amount of progress Adam has made in 4 weeks since our last visit.  Adam had to complete a test and 4 weeks ago he scored 32 out of 100 and today he scored 67... he doubled his score which the doctor said and I quote "unbeliveable".  AMAZING, my man is amazing!!!

I am rejoicing in the week and thanking the good Lord for all that He has done this week.  To Him all the glory and honor is due.  He is so worthy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rejoice with you that Adam had so many positive visits. It is so good that his co-workers came to see him and that he got his pin. I love you and continue to trust you to Father's care. Marion

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! In 4 weeks he doubled his score. Amy, we marvel with you at the amazing man you married and his perseverence... but with GOd as His healer and encourager and YOU Amy, cheering him on with respect and humor and so much love.... So much beautiful fruit in your marriage... you are writing together a beautiful life story. Adam, God's glory is gloriously shining through your family. You have led them well in great health and in times of trials and sickness. Bless you Root family. Love, Jan and Wayne

Buck Hodges said...

We all enjoyed his visit this week. Thanks for coming!

Buck

Anonymous said...

This is such great news to hear that Adam is doing so well. As you said, amazing!

Tivian

Doug Mortensen said...

Reading this brought tears of joy to my eyes. God is good.

Blog Archive