Friday, September 2, 2011

Made From A Rib

Sometimes women are overly suspicious of their husbands. When Adam stayed out very late for a few nights, Eve became upset. "You're running around with other women," she charged. "You're being unreasonable," Adam responded. "You're the only woman on earth." The quarrel continued until Adam fell asleep, only to be awakened by someone poking him in the chest. It was Eve. "What do you think you're doing?" Adam demanded. "Counting your ribs," said Eve.

The story above was just to be a little light and funny story...

As a mom, there is no greater joy for me than to hear my little girl share her faith and knowledge of the Word.  I love listening to her speak with passion about the sacred Word of God.  This evening I had the great joy of listening to my daughter share with her friends that God made woman out of man's rib.  She then went on to share the biblical story about Adam and Eve and the importance of the helpmate and that it wasn't good for man to be alone.  It was so sweet to hear her as she shared the Word of God and was so accurate while sharing the light!    All the while, she had no idea that I was listening or could hear her... I have one amazing kiddo! 

Mackenzie was sharing the biblical reference to Genesis 2:21-24 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Matthew Henry's commentary has some amazing comments regarding this passage... "The man was dust refined, but the woman was dust double-refined, one remove further from the earth. 2. That Adam slept while his wife was in making, that no room might be left to imagine that he had herein directed the Spirit of the Lord, or been his counsellor. He had been made sensible of his want of a meet help; but, God having undertaken to provide him one, he does not afflict himself with any care about it, but lies down and sleeps sweetly, as one that had cast all his care on God, with a cheerful resignation of himself and all his affairs to his Maker’s will and wisdom. Jehovah-jireh, let the Lord provide when and whom he pleases. If we graciously rest in God, God will graciously work for us and work all for good. "

Matthew Henry also goes on to write "That the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved."  Don't you just love this!  I love this picture.

I take so much pleasure in my role as my man's wife!  I love being his helpmate, I love being loved by my man!  I love that my man has always taken this passage so serious, he is an amazing protector, and has loved me so much to keep our marriage number 2 on his priority list.  Second only to his relationship with his Savior.  I do have an amazing man!  I love him so much and every day I am blessed to hear him say those words to me... what a miracle it is!!!

Well, we survived!!! Our first full week of school and Adam's first full week of work, we might be tired and a little worn out, but we survived a whole week of a schedule and routine that seemed impossible, even if you were jolted by caffeine... but we made it, and on very little caffeine (only consumed by me, and on a good day I would be able to get my only cup of coffee in before 2pm).  Thanks for your prayers regarding our insane and busy schedule, we have needed it!  We are all looking forward to the long weekend and some R&R!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that commentary message... lots of good food for thought. So glad you survived and thrived during this very busy week!! In my Bible study today for our small group study tonight.... you and Adam and Mackenzie were the answer to this question for me. "WHo in the past year has influenced you in your desire and growth to be more Christ like." Thanks so much, Jan

Anonymous said...

I, too enjoy being my husbands helpmeet. It's a joy that Father chose me to be the one to "help" my honey "meet" what He has laid before him. :) YAY, YAY, YAY!!! on a week gone well. I love you, Marion

Anonymous said...

Yeah good to hear Mackenzie having her first week down! How did you do mom of a middle schooler? :-) Lots of joys ahead there! Adam is keeping busy too at work! That's great news! Please take care of YOU! Try one more cup of coffee with your feet up on the porch! Keeping you all in prayer! May you find REST in what's left of this weekend! Let's visit live soon!

Love you lots,
Mom

Blog Archive