Monday, August 22, 2011

Marriage, Middle School, and Mornings

Many of you know my heart for marriage... those of you who know me well know it more as a passion and I have probably spoken to you about your marriages.  I can't help it, it pours out of me.  To me, being a wife is my highest and greatest calling.  I am a mother and I do know what a high and great calling it is to raise a child, but making a covenant vow and having the calling on my life to be someone's (Adam's) helpmate... there is no greater calling on my life.  I work very hard to invest in my marriage, I'm not just talking about doing nice things for my man, I'm talking about praying for my man, staying in the Word of God consistently and even focusing many of my quiet hours with the Lord researching His plans for marriage and His guidance on being a wife.  Listen, it doesn't matter if you didn't grow up with a good example, let God be your example, let Him teach you.  Quit with the excuses and let God reign in your marriage.

I am saddened when I hear of marriages breaking apart, my heart breaks for that marriage.  Over the last couple of days I have been exposed to a couple of marriages on the brink of divorce and I have been on my knees asking God to breath new life into these marriages.  We serve a mighty God who is bigger than any problem we encounter, He is a God of reconciliation, He is a God of restoration, He is the healer, He is the greatest counselor... He is able to speak life into your marriages.  Ladies, we need to pray for our husbands daily, we need to pray for our marriages, and we need to pray for our friends marriages as well.

Philippians 4:6,7 - Don't be anxious, but by prayer and supplication make your requests known to God. Christians should do this for all our problems, but specifically for our marriage problems. If we have proper faith in God's power, then we will pray diligently about our marriage problems.
1 John 5:14 - Be confident that, if we ask according to His will, He hears us. (Also read: Matt. 6:13; 1 Pet. 5:7)  When we have marriage problems, especially serious ones, we need to believe that God will answer prayer. If both the husband and wife are faithful Christians then they should spend much time together and individually praying for God's help with their problems.

Remember, however, that God answers according to His will. If your companion is not a Christian or is not faithful, then God will not force them to do right. He may, however, give them an opportunity to learn His will for their lives.

I will be writing on marriage this week, not only is it a passion, it's just so heavy on my heart.

It's official... I became a mother of a middle schooler today... Mackenzie doesn't start school until Thursday, but I had 6th grade parent orientation this evening.  Oh my stars, I cannot believe I have a middle schooler (well, actually, I can... the hormones are showing).  Mackenzie is so nervous about middle school, please, please be praying for her on Thursday and the weeks to come.  She is excited about her schedule, but nervous not knowing a soul at this school.  Pray for wise decisions in friends, ray that she will meet other girls that are sold out for Christ, girls that she can connect with and build strong friendships with.  It is so great to know that she can build friends here and that we won't be moving on!

Pray also for Adam and I as we adjust to this new schedule, to get Mackenzie out the door on time to school my morning will begin at 4:30 and Adam's will begin at 5:30.  Mackenzie and Adam are not morning people so this should be interesting.

Yesterday we enlisted the help of our really good friends Scott and Stacy and we walked the local shopping center.  Adam probably walked the equivalent of 1/2 to maybe 2/3 of a a mile... he is doing awesome!  Other than that we have taken the last couple of days off from a ton of therapy activities.  Adam needed a break... every moment I saw an opportunity I was giving him something to do and he was doing it all and is doing awesome... but it gave me little time to be his wife... so the last couple of days I have been focusing on being my man's wife.  I can't wait to hear whether or not he gets accepted for the day therapy program, we should hear something in the next week.  So please keep that in your prayers as well.  He's ready for therapy with therapists and not his wife pretending to be a therapist :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart, too cries, when people split. For me, my marriage staarted to change when I learned to pray "Father, change this marriage, and start with me". Middle School, let me tell you, Mackenzie will tackle it with the same grace she has tackled the life change with her dad. Father has His hand on her in a special way. I love you guys and continue to trust Father for each of you. Marion

Adam & Amy Root said...

Marion, I am so blessed by you! I have been praying for you my sweet friend. Thank you for your faithful prayers and consisant words of encouragement. Love you, Amy

autumn weikert said...

Hi Amy,
Almost everyday I read the blog and continue to lift your precious family unto the Lord. Of this gift, prayer, I have been able to be diligent. Hannah this past Saturday worked all day serving with the middle schoolers at TCC and was exhausted at the end of the day. She was so disappointed to find out that she missed your whole family at worship service that evening. Our family would love to have you guys come over anytime. I know this week is full with school starting but let me know about next week. We also started school last week. Hannah is in 1oth grade. Also if you need help getting Mackenzie to school or perhaps picking her up just let me know. Maybe I could give you a break one day a week. The Weikert family loves and misses you. Please give us a call or text soon. Autumn

Wanda said...

Praying for all of you but specifically for the therapy, your back and Mackenzie's friends! So glad you were able to participate in the Night of Worship. Wish we were still in NC to worship with you all!

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
Welcome back to our dear state of NC! I praise the Lord for what you wrote about marriage--it is so right. Keep praying, listening, writing and being an example of one who lives out her faith and stays in the Word and in prayer. I once had a much older woman tell me that I just didn't understand how hard marriage could be. My reply was gentle, but firm: "The Bible tells us how to behave as wives and He will give us the strength. His Word is true and we can trust it." May you also rest in our Heavenly Father and His perfect Word. Let nothing and no one deter you from this correct path. I'll be praying for your dear daughter,and your early a.m. schedule. The Lord will enable you to accomplish what He's called you to do. (as you know:) Thanks for again cheering me on as a wife and a mom with your faithful words. You are a dear saint, Amy. Your Sister-in-Christ, Sandra from Winston-Salem
Eph 2:10, Col 3:17

Anonymous said...

Amy, I have to tell you what Father did!! There is a part of our brain that registars addictions. Playing the computer can be an addiction. One gets a certain high from playing. While my games are never more than solitare or my granddaughter's "Purble Place", I can waste a lot of time playing. I read your responce to my blog responce. I started to play Purble Place after reading your reply. I stopped, saying Amy is praying for me, I can control this. I got up from the computer and did what I needed to do otherwise. Father is so good to use the prayers of the saints. I look forward to Heaven so we can have a good visit while doing what Father puts before us. I love you, Marion

Adam & Amy Root said...

Thank you Sandra for your words of wisdom and encouragement, I am so passionate about marriages and covenant vows. I am so thankful that God is using my passion, I pray that through this passion I will bring glory to the Most High.

Autumn, I too was sorry to have missed Hannah. I'm sure our paths will cross soon. We are just trying to get into our schedule and routine.

Marion, thank you for sharing, I now know how to pray.

I just love our prayer warriors!~ Amy

Blog Archive