Sunday, August 28, 2011

God's Amazing Sovereignty... I Just Want More of Him

About a year before Adam's injury* I picked up a christian classic... J.I. Packer's Knowing God. I devoured the book and was in love with God even more.  About a year ago, so a few months after Adam's injury I was given the books Attributes of God by A.W. Tozer... I have been camping out this last week on God's sovereignty, and praising Him for His sovereignty.

First lets look at what the Bible says:

1 Chronicles 29:11-12 "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all."

Ephesians 1:11 "In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will"

Daniel 4:35All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

J.I. Packer writes "Knowing God is more than knowing about Him; it is a matter of dealing with Him as He opens up to you, and being dealt with by Him as He takes knowledge of you. Knowing about Him is a necessary precondition of trusting in Him, but the width of our knowledge about Him is no gauge of our knowledge of Him."  Knowing God is knowing that He is sovereign.  Nothing is by accident.

(*I am not calling Adam's accident an accident anymore, but referring to it as his injury, by no means is this an accident in God's eyes, but just part of our faith journey with Him.  I can see how we have been prepared and equipped for this journey even a year in advance before the injury took place.  God has plans for His mighty warrior and He has only just began a good work in my man and it is by no means finished yet!)

A.W. Tozer writes "God’s sovereignty is the attribute by which He rules His entire creation, and to be sovereign God must be all-knowing, all-powerful, and absolutely free. The reasons are these: Were there even one datum of knowledge, however small, unknown to God, His rule would break down at that point. To be Lord over all the creation, He must possess all knowledge. And were God lacking one infinitesimal modicum of power, that lack would end His reign and undo His kingdom; that one stray atom of power would belong to someone else and God would be a limited ruler and hence not sovereign.  Furthermore, His sovereignty requires that He be absolutely free, which means simply that He must be free to do whatever He wills to do anywhere at any time to carry out His eternal purpose in every single detail without interference. Were He less than free He must be less than sovereign."

In our devotional time over the last couple of weeks, I have been reading the Bible book of Daniel to Adam.  This book is all about God's sovereignty, which has made me want to study this attribute with a passion.  What I'm finding and what I journeled about today is screaming " I WANT MORE OF YOU"  I want so much more of my Jesus, of my Lord and Savior, of my Sovereign God... I want more.  Amen?!!!  Are you hungry too?  Spend time in the Word and as much as you get quenched, you will leave with a passion of wanting so much more.

This evening Adam and I had our first date night/double date out in over a year!!!  It was perfect.  John and Debbie took us out for our anniversary to one of our favorite date night places that we frequented before Adam's injury.  This is the first time we have been back as a couple since April of 2010!  We had such a wonderful time and it was the most fun I have had out and about in 15 months!  I just love hanging out with my man!  The four of us shared some awesome laughs and great time and I am so grateful for this time.  Date nights are vital to a marriage. (more on this to come)  What a blessing and a gift it was to celebrate our anniversary with friends and outside of a hospital.  What a mighty God we serve.

Things I am giving thanks for this week, Adam's dexterity using a fork has blown me away.  Last week he would hold the fork in his hand while he ate with his fingers of the other hand... this week he used the fork or spoon for every meal!!!  I am giving thanks that I was able to celebrate another anniversary with my man and I am looking forward to the many more to come, not taking one second for granted.  I am thankful we survived an earthquake and a hurricane all in the same week.  I am thankful for incredible friends and family that we could not do this journey without.  My heart is full of thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my Friend, it is so good to hear you say Father plans/controls all things. I have had many people look askance at me when I say that. Like you said, If Father made one mistake, He would no longer be God. I have heard, He either planned all our days or the truth is not in Him. I rejoice with you in the fun you had on your anniversary. I love you and continue to trust Father for you, Marion

Jess said...

Happy Anniversary Amy & Adam!

Blog Archive