Thursday, August 4, 2011

God Is In Control And Everything Is In His Timing

Where does my day go?!!!  It begins around 5:30-6:00am and before I know it, the day is gone. I had three failed attempts at trying to blog today, after the third one, it hit me... I blog at night because it's the only time I am usually not interrupted.  So now that Mackenzie is in bed, Adam is asleep, the phone is shut off... ahhh, I have a moment.

So back to yesterday...  We had a wonderful day, we went to the grocery store again, although not to buy groceries, just to give experience to Adam to walk and to scan the shelves for the items I asked for.  Hopefully the grocery store won't mind that we're using their store for therapy!  Adam did really well and was able to keep it up for almost an hour!!!

When I gave him his book and pen to see what he was going to write, without saying anything to him he started writing numbers.  He wrote the letter 8 over and over again.  It was the first time I had seen him write numbers.

Today Adam did one of his favorite activities on the iPad.  He has really enjoyed playing memory and today he did that for quite sometime, we also worked on the date today and all throughout the day I was trying to remind him and ask him.  By the end of the day all I would say is "Adam, what's the date today?" and he would respond "August 4th 2011"!!!  Go Adam!!!  I really didn't push him too hard because I could tell he was feeling a little off today (explained below).

Today we have had quite a hectic day... I have mentioned before that we no longer get the privilege of going down the street and picking up medications from the pharmacy.  Because Adam has been on these medications for sometime and will continue to be so, they are considered maintenance medications and all have to go through a mail order system.  Having had to leave Florida so quickly I was blindsided by this process.  All Adam's medications have always been provided through the hospitals he's been in, and when we left Florida we only had enough medications to get us through a couple weeks.  We since have been given prescriptions and have really been put through the ringer with the medication company. 

Before I finish my story above, let me just brag about what an awesome case manager Adam has through his company.  When you face a catastrophic accident like Adam you get assigned a case manager through the insurance company who is going to know most everything about his care and needs.  The case manager also helps advocate to the insurance company for the patient's needs.  Dealing with insurance is NEVER easy, but having a case manager like Gloria, we are so blessed.  Gloria has really had to go to battle for Adam on several occasions and I am so grateful.  Because of her she helped get Florida approved!  And because of her, she has made the quick transition back home a little easier.  I know when we make the decision for outpatient therapies, she will continue to battle her best for Adam to get him the care he needs and deserves.

But back to today... Gloria saved the day!!!  After talking with the medication company asking them why we were still missing some of Adam's neurostimulates (medications that help him stay alert, aware, and help him to stay focused and engaged.  They also help with initiation and drive) and he has been without them for 3 days (which is why he was a little off today).  I was told they weren't going to fill the prescriptions because they have been filled in too many states too many times.  The person on the other end even went so far as accusing me of possibly selling Adam's medications on the black market or consuming them myself.  I didn't know whether to laugh of cry, but before I could decide the tears fell and I just hung up on the person.  I called Gloria to see what my options were and she instantly went to work for us, but didn't get off the phone until she comforted me and help to calm me down.  A few hours later, she called letting me know Adam's medications would be arriving tomorrow!!!  Way to go Gloria!!!  The best part, she asked to talk to Adam... this is the first time she has ever spoke to him, she has fought for him, she has helped me so many times... and today he carried on a conversation with her for the first time!  I am so thankful for her and all that she has done for us.

God really does take care of all our needs, and He is really in control.  For the last several days of not having these important meds I keep praying over Adam that He will still make gains and not fall behind or go backwards.  Yesterday in the grocery store, Adam is still making gains, praise the Lord.  I have also seen the need for the medications too, but no matter what I know that God has taken care of Adam and has provided all that we need in His timing!  I know tomorrow when those medications come they will arrive in His timing.  That has been 2 consistent themes for me in this journey... everything is in His timing, and HE is in control of everything, of every circumstance, of every emotion, of everything. 

Isaiah 46:9-10 (MSG)
Think about this. Wrap your minds around it. This is serious business, rebels. Take it to heart.  Remember your history, your long and rich history.  I am God, the only God you've had or ever will have— incomparable, irreplaceable—from the very beginning telling you what the ending will be, All along letting you in on what is going to happen, Assuring you, 'I'm in this for the long haul, I'll do exactly what I set out to do,' Calling that eagle, Cyrus, out of the east, from a far country the man I chose to help me.  I've said it, and I'll most certainly do it.   I've planned it, so it's as good as done.

3 comments:

Doug Mortensen said...

Amy, I am not surprised to read about Adam's progress. I have believed, and continue to believe, that he is on a "healing journey." At the same time, it is so exciting to hear of his progress. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.

Anonymous said...

Some people think just because they take care of meds or anything for others, they are gods. It irks me when this happens. Yet, I have to remember they aren't doing it to me, they are doing it to my Father. There's a reason He wrote, "Vengence is mine, I will repay". When He does, you can be sure, they will get the message. Too, there have been times when I have hung up on people. Sometimes, (when in person) I have turned around and just walked away. I love you and continue to trust Father for each of you. Say, I just thought of something, maybe the not getting the meds was to show you how well Adam was doing without them. It sounds like he really performed even though he has missed a few days. BIG HUGS, Marion

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd like to know what insurance company gave you such a rough time--obviously they never heard or believed the scripture from Romans 8:31-"What,then, shall we say in response to this? IF GOD IS FOR US, WHO CAN BE AGAINST US?" Stay tight with Him Amy, remember He's for us, how awesome!!

God bless,
Diane

Blog Archive