Thursday, July 7, 2011

Best Friends

Thankfully I was able to use what little technical knowledge I have and get my computer to finally reboot to work again... this in and of itself is an answer to prayer!!!

Even more of a blessing is my best friend Debbie being here in Orlando with me!!!!  She brought along Mackenzie's best friend, her daugher Diana... it's been a house full of giggles and fun the last 24 hours!!!

"In kindergarten your idea of a good friend was the person who let you have the red crayon when all that was left was the ugly black one.

In first grade your idea of a good friend was the person who went to the bathroom with you and held your hand as you walked through the scary halls.

In second grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you stand up to the class bully.
In third grade your idea of a good friend was the person who shared their lunch with you when you forgot yours on the bus.

In fourth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who was willing to switch square dancing partners in gym so you wouldn't have to be stuck do-si-do-ing with Nasty Nicky or Smelly Susan.

In fifth grade your idea of a friend was the person who saved a seat on the back of the bus for you.

In sixth grade your idea of a friend was the person who went up to Nick or Susan, your new crush, and asked them to dance with you, so that if they said no you wouldn't have to be embarrassed.
In seventh grade your idea of a friend was the person who let you copy the social studies homework from the night before that you had.

In eighth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you pack up your stuffed animals and old baseball cards so that your room would be a "high schooler's" room, but didn't laugh at you when you finished and broke out into tears.

In ninth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who went to that "cool" party thrown by a senior so you wouldn't wind up being the only freshman there.

In tenth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who changed their schedule so you would have someone to sit with at lunch.

In eleventh grade your idea of a good friend was the person who gave you rides in their new car, convinced your parents that you shouldn't be grounded, consoled you when you broke up with Nick or Susan, and found you a date to the prom.

In twelfth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you pick out a college, assured you that you would get into that college, helped you deal with your parents who were having a hard time adjusting to the idea of letting you go...

At graduation your idea of a good friend was the person who was crying on the inside but managed the biggest smile one could give as they congratulated you."

Now my, idea of a good friend is still the person who gives me the better of the two choices, holds my hand when I'm scared, helps me fight off those who try to discourage me, thinks of me at times when I'm a thousand miles away, reminds me of what I have forgotten and helps take care of the details, helps me put the past behind me but understands when I need to hold on to it a little longer, stays with me countless nights sleeping in an ICU waiting room, goes out of her way to make time for me, helps me see the truth when my emotions take over, helps me deal with pressure from others, smiles for me when I'm fighting back the tears, makes me a better person just by knowing her, and most importantly shares my passion for my Savior and understands when I text her at midnight saying "do you think it's strange that I just want to cuddle my bible?" and then gets it! I love you Debbie!

Tonight I am giving thanks to God for my best friend Debbie and for so many of you who have faithfully walked this journey with me... I know there are so many of you out there thank you all for being amazing friends and family.  I love you all and couldn't do this without you all.

Poor Adam is being over run by girls... he's working so hard that I think he's too tired to notice.   :)  Adam stood today for 10 minutes and 54.4 seconds all by himself!  I could not believe how awesome and amazing he is progressing!  I dropped Adam off for therapies this morning after he woke up and I got him ready, then I spent the day with Debbie, Mackenzie, and Diana, I can't even begin to tell you how wonderufl it is for Mackenzie and I to both have our best friends here!  Adam came home in between therapies today to take a nap,  I had to wake him up to take him back for therapy... he was not so happy about that.

Lately Adam has been enjoying his rest... yesterday I went to wake him up, I think it finally hit him, before his accident he was never a morning person... when I tried waking him up he responded "go away, I'm sleeping"  then I when I tried explaining to him that he needed to get up for therapy, he said he needed to sleep because he was sick of therapy... this just made me smile.  I don't think he's really sick of therapy, but the fact that he was communicating that he was tired and definently showing signs of his personality... I can't help but smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend is a gift of God. I am grateful He gives them to us. I love you, Marion

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

What a beautiful post. You are probably as good of a friend as she is to you. I'm praying for you today to have strength and endurance.

Mary Strynar said...

Happy Birthday to your best friend! She's is a jewel. Love you guys! Mary

Anonymous said...

What an terrific post!! I've seen the two of you in action !!! You two are unstoppable and your love for Jesus just pours out everywhere you go!!! You've got that David / Jonathan friendship plus!! The fact that you're girls is how you got the plus :) Sounds like a fun weekend for all !! Happy Birthday Debbie!!
Love, Jan

Blog Archive