Monday, June 6, 2011

Thankful That My Marriage Has Changed Me



If I had to sum the day up in one word, it would be... productive.  Both Adam and I got so much done today all around we all had a productive day, well, maybe not Mackenzie... it's the end of the year and she played games and watched a movie at school today! 

Adam had another jam packed day of therapies from 7:30am till 2:30pm and then I brought him home for the evening until it was time for him to go back and head to bed.  We joined into our small group tonight, ate dinner as family, and just hung out at home.  I never take these moments for granted anymore, not after spending a year in a hospital, moments at home in our own environment are precious to all three of us.  Adam rested most of the time at home, he was pretty tuckered from his day of therapies.  He spent most therapy time working on improving cognition, memory, balance, and improving the quality of his walk.

I read this quote from the book "What Did You Expect: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage" By: Paul Trip... “Our desire is that our marriages would be the location of our comfort, ease, and enjoyment; we often have desires no bigger than this. But God’s purpose is that each of our marriages would be a tool for something that is way more miraculous and glorious than our tiny, little, self-focused definition of happiness. He has designed marriage to be one of the most effective and efficient tools of personal holiness. He has designed your marriage to change YOU.”

This quote is similar to the one that posted recently from Sacred Marriage...  after after reading this quote it made me ponder all the ways my marriage has changed me.  I am no where near being the same person I was almost 4 years ago when I said "I do"... and praise the Lord for that!  I love how He has radically transformed my life and our marriage.  I'm not just referring to Adam's accident... I am referring to before his accident.  I can honestly say being married to Adam has made me a better person.  Being married to him has made me want to strive for God's best in my marriage and my life.  It has brought me to my knees broken before the Lord many times, it has made me experience God's love for me in a whole different way... being married to Adam has strengthened my walk and my relationship with God, it has made me a better person. 

God has given me a passion for marriages and an even bigger passion for studying them, reading about them, and a desire to always want to grow in my marriage.  I ask you, how has your marriage changed you?  Have you changed for the better or for the worse? 

I said this a few weeks ago how I always want to be my husband's girlfriend... loving him so much, going out of my way for him, doing small gestures to let him know I'm thinking about him, praising him, encouraging him... are you your man's girl?  I strive to be my husband's crown (Proverbs 12:4)  I want to continue to change and grow... I want to consistently be changing to become more like my King.  I don't want to wake up tomorrow and be the same as I am today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, thanks again for wonderful words of truth and encouragement to all those married or considering it. I love Paul Tripps books and Sacred Marriage is a must read too !! Your thankful heart is CONTAGIOUS!!
Love to all, Jan

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you. Thank you for sharing Father's words through you. I continue to trust Father for you and your sweet family. I love you. Marion

Anonymous said...

You are amazing - an inspiration!

Ashton

Blog Archive