Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Year Later and Stonger

My heart over pours with thanksgiving as I sit here and ponder our last year.  I feel like the most blessed person ever...  look at all that God has done for us in the last year...
  1. Kept Adam alive and here with me, I'm pretty sure this means God has HUGE plans for Adam!
  2. Equipped Adam to be a mighty warrior for Him, how else do you survive 13 major operations?!
  3. Has allowed Adam to defy all odds stacked against him
  4. Allowed Adam to overcome his neurological storms
  5. Has given Adam movements in all 4 extremities
  6. Allowed Adam to have a voice, but not only that, He has given Adam the ability to speak and speak intelligibly!
  7. Strengthened Adam and has given him the ability to learn how to walk again
  8. He has given Adam a strong swallow to be able to eat a normal diet again!
  9. Healing him moment by moment of everyday allowing Adam to start to take care of himself rather than having someone do things for him, such as feeding himself, dressing himself, getting himself ready for the day!
  10. God has sustained us every moment of this journey, He has provided all we have needed
  11. We have been blessed by so many of your stories of how God has transformed your life through walking this journey with us.  These stories have meant so much and will forever be cherished in our hearts
  12. God has shown us the power of the LIVING Word and has shown us His countless promises, and that He is who He says He is, amen?!!!
  13. God has given us all of you, who have faithfully prayed for Adam and for our family, provided the needs of our family, and you all have faithfully walked a year with us... how do we ever thank you all enough. 
This is just a short condensed list of all that has taken place over a year.  When I see how far God has brought Adam in a year, it makes to ecstatic to see what this next year in Adam's recovery will bring! 
We will continue to stand in awe of all that God is doing in Adam's recovery, we continue to praise Him through this storm, because we have seen what a mighty God we serve!  Psalm 103:2-5  Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits— who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Your letters have been amazing... I read many of them today to Adam.  Adam was having a very difficult day of agitation, and it was amazing to see the effects your letters had on him... he would instantly calm down when I began to read.  It was incredible to see that so many of you wrote about how God has great and mighty plans for Adam, that He has only just begun a good work in Adam.  I stand in agreement with those statements!  Adam and I have had the privilege of serving as high school youth group leaders at our church in North Carolina and one of the students who attended our small group wrote in his letter "When people ask me what I want to be when I grow up, you know what I'm gonna say? 'I'm gonna be Adam Root 2.0, a computer programmer, Godly man, loving husband, fantastic father, a fun person, and a man's man'".  I just loved this, I love that Adam is such an amazing guy that a younger generation looks up to him and wants to be the man of God that my man is!  Amazing!

You all have played such a pivotal role in our journey, we could not have done this without you all, so many of you have remained anonymous and I just want to thank everyone who has helped make this last year possible for our family!  God will repay what we cannot, I do pray that you all will be blessed beyond what you have blessed us.

One thing this journey continues to teach me is the choices we have to make... every day we are faced with choices to choose God or the world's way.  I pray that daily I will choose to hold onto God and His promises.  I pray that I will choose to wait patiently on Him.  I pray that I will choose to be intentional about my relationship with my Savior. I pray that I will choose to use my time wisely.  Most of all I pray that I will choose Him no matter the circumstance... I will choose to give thanks under all circumstances because that is what His word commands of me.  I give Him thanks for this journey, thanks that He has entrusted Adam, Mackenzie, and myself with a mighty task of being His vessels.  Thanks for how far He has brought Adam... To God be the glory!

I started this journey with a heart that was completely shattered and broken before the Lord... from one of the first posts I posted I shared the lyrics from Mandisa's song Broken Hallelujah.  As time is passing I have felt as though God is picking up the shattered pieces of my heart and making the 3 of us a new creations. Adam, Mackenzie, and I are completely different, we are all stronger. Mandisa has a new song out called Stronger... it's been the new song on my heart!

Stronger By: Mandisa
Hey, heard you were up all night
Thinking about how your world ain't right
And you wonder if things will ever get better
And you're asking why is it always raining on you
When all you want is just a little good news
Instead of standing there stuck out in the weather

Oh, don't hang your head
It's gonna end
God's right there
Even if it's hard to see Him
I promise you that He still cares

When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
And things can only get better
Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger
Gonna make you stronger, stronger, stronger
Believe me, this is gonna make you Stronger

Try and do the best you can
Hold on and let Him hold your hand
And go on and fall into the arms of Jesus
Oh, lift your head it's gonna end
God's right there
Even when you just can't feel Him
I promise you that He still cares

'Cause if He started this work in your life
He will be faithful to complete it
If only you believe it
He knows how much it hurts
And I'm sure that He's gonna help you get through this

When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
In time it's gonna get better
Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger

I am excited to see what this new year will bring forth, I encourage you all to please continue to join me, approaching the throne of grace with boldness and confidence asking for God's hand in Adam's FULL recovery as He rebuilds Adam one cell, one axon, one neuron at a time.  Please NEVER cease in praying!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an anniversary! Father is amazing. Thank you for being His amazing vessels...all three of you. I love you and continue totrust Father for all of you, Marion

Anonymous said...

You are so strong I don't know how you could get any stronger. I really like that song you shared.
Adam is so fortunate to have such a loving and faithful wife and daughter.
Remember the agitation is part of the process, you have been looking out for this. It brings you closer to the end of the last stage and brings you to this next part in his recovery. New things are happening which is awesome! Gos is so good! We miss you in Boston! Love Always, Lisa

Preston said...

I love you all you three! Keep up the good work Adam, Amy and Mckinzie!! Hang in there! You have a great man in your family and its amazing what God has and is doing through him. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Blog Archive