Friday, May 20, 2011

I Am My Husband's Girlfriend!

"The people and circumstances around me do not MAKE me what I am, they REVEAL who I am."  Dr. Laura Schlessinger.
 
For the last 10 years I have enjoyed listening to Dr. Laura Schlessinger... she helped me to be proud to be feminine and not have to fall into the feminist ways of our society.  If you aren't familiar with her radio program she often teaches the value of being "my husband's girlfriend".  Adam and often listened to her program together and I strongly recommend to the wives that are reading this, to read Dr. Laura's book "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands".  She taught me the importance of treating Adam like the man he deserves to be treated like as well as to adopt the concept of being my man's girlfriend even after we were married.  Think about this concept, what were you like when you were dating your husband?  Did you flirt with him?  Say sweet things to him often?  Go out of your way for him?  Do you still do these things?

I would often tell Adam that I never wanted to stop being his girlfriend.  I want to love him more and differently, but I also want to make sure I am doing the sweet things that I did when we were dating.  Making him feel as special as he is.

Tonight I was laying with Adam in bed and we were laughing, talking, and joking together... I teasingly said  "What I am going to do with you Adam Root" and he replied  "be my girlfriend".  I just loved this response!  I am proud to be my husband's girlfriend, and I am honored that he asked me tonight.  What a blessing it is and honor to be my man's wife and to be his loving girlfriend... I just love, love, love my man!

Adam is doing so great, I just love that his personality is returning and especially his sense of humor.  This afternoon we were hanging out with Adam and I asked if I could sit on his lap and he said no, so I started to make my way towards the chair in the room... when he responded, "where are you going... I was JOKING" then he proceeded to open his arms up and pull me on his lap!  I just loved this moment of him messing with me. 

He did very well today in therapy sessions, the highlight of the day today was in speech therapy, Lily said she worked with Adam on opposites and he was able to get 85% accurate!  Way to go Adam!

This evening, Stacy, Mackenzie and I made the 40 minute drive to the ocean, it was wonderful.  As I sat in the sand watching Mackenzie play in the water I was reflecting on the last time I was at the ocean watching Mackenzie play in the water... it was back in September when we went with Scott and Stacy and Scott's family... it was right after I found the program at Spaulding but Adam hadn't been accepted yet, and WakeMed  had just told me that the best place for Adam was a nursing home (which I refused to believe).  How much has changed since then... I couldn't help but sit in silence and just offer up thanksgiving and praise to God for all He has done.  I just marveled at the works and miracles God has done in Adam's recovery, He is truly worthy of all our thanksgiving and praise... and no better place to marvel at his works than at the ocean!  We have so much to be thankful for!

Psalm 8:3-9 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet:  all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild, the birds in the sky, and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, my friend, I too love being at the ocean. It's one of my favorite places to go when I am upset or down about something. Thank you for the reminder to be our husband's girlfriend. I love you, Marion

Preston said...

I love the concept of being Adam's boyfriend or vice-versa for a guy and being his wife's boyfriend. I wish we could see more couples like that. As I'm not married or dating I can't know if its hard or not though :)

Also I am so happy that Adam is improving! I'm still praying! Keep it up all three of ya!

God Bless
Preston

Blog Archive