Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grieving The Loss of A Friend

My heart is hurting deeply tonight... tears have clouded my eyes most of the day after I got word that Mike Carey passed away.  Mike was a patient at Spaulding who was fighting brain cancer and I have blogged about him before.  Mike lost his battle with brain cancer this morning and while I am grieving the loss of a friend and hurting for his sweet wife Liz, I am rejoicing that he is no longer suffering, that he is no longer in pain, but that his body has been restored.

While I haven't had the pleasure of knowing Mike all that long, he taught me a great deal about how to enjoy life and laugh through life's most difficult moments.  He ALWAYS had a smile on his face and consistently was laughing, often he was laughing at himself... he was a man full of joy and his joy would fill a room.  Even through his suffering he was joyful, I can only pray for that kind of a spirit. 

Mike was not only a man of courage, but a man who knew how to encourage others.  So many times he would cheer Adam along and encourage Adam to never stop fighting to get better.  What a gift he was to us and what an honor to know such an amazing man.  Please join me in praying for his wife Liz and their two sons Jeffery and Ross.
Liz and Mike

Revelation 21:4-5  ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”

I can't write any more tonight... my heart is aching and I am at a loss for words.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to read that Amy. Praying for his family and for you as your mourn his loss.

Amy J

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about Mike's death. If I had to guess, Mike's encouragement of others was one of the things that kept him going. What a gift and a blessing. May God's comfort surround Mike's family and you too.

Laura

Wanda said...

Praying for Mile's family and friends. Glad you had the opportunity to meet him.

Anonymous said...

"Father, I am so glad You have Mike in your arms. I am so glad You have his sweet family in your arms. Give his family an extra special hug. Help them to rest, and in time rejoice in that they have a loved one waiting for them at HOME. I love You. AMEN and AMEN" (Marion)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry my friend, I know how you have turned every person you have encountered on this journey into family and can only imagine how hard this is for you guys and for Liz and their boys. I will continue to pray for your heart to heal as for Adam's continued recovery. We are all still cheering for you guys here at UNC! Love you!
JS

Blog Archive