Thursday, May 26, 2011

God's Power To Sustain

As I watch Adam battle through each day and persevere with every passing hour, I am in awe of God's power and ability to sustain us. Adam has truly been an incredible example of God's power and I believe Adam will continue to be an example for many of what a mighty God we serve. Adam has had to battle through challenges that most of us will never have to face, challenges so difficult that you and I would have been trampled by them... and while I know my man is strong (the strongest man I know), I know it is truly only by the strength of God and His grace that Adam is where he is this hour. It's by God's grace that my man hugs and kisses me every day, it's by God's grace and power that my man tells me he loves me (with his words, not just actions!!!), it's by God's grace that my man is striving for his indendance to walk so that we will one day walk hand in hand with no one else! It's by God's grace that my man is still here fighting every day to show so many people what a mighty God we serve!!! 

I have seen God's strength imerse Adam in his weakest moments, and that same strength that God has given Adam, He is holding it open for you to take from His hands,  He wants to be your strength for whatever it is you are facing.  Go to Him, submit to Him, ask Him for His hand, He will give it to you and carry you through your darkest hour, your weakest moment, and He is there when you feel like you can't go any further... He will carry you.  Isaiah 46:4  Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Adam is truly doing amazing and I can't wait to share all the new and exciting things that he's been doing in the last week.  Today's highlight comes from his time with Lily in speech... he connected the dots on a piece of paper!  At one point when he was working on connecting one of the dots, he over shot it and said "well that's not going to work" and he retried and corrected it!  GO ADAM!!!  Then in their last few minutes, Lily gave him a piece of paper and asked him to write out the alaphabet... he was able to get all the way to the letter F and then their time ran out.  This was amazing!  GO ADAM!!!  This week and last Lily has been working with Adam on recognizing opposites like, hot/cold, on/off, open/closed, ect... Adam has been getting these 80% of the time!  It's amazing to see how far he has come.

This afternoon after walking on the treadmill with very little assistance and walking around the entire facility, Adam decided he didn't want to be in the facility anymore.  He started to get agitated and said to me, I just want to go, I want to go home and be apart of the world again.  I loved how clearly he stated what he wanted and I can't wait till we can bring him home for good... but right now the best I was able to do was bringing him home for the afternoon.  We hung out and had dinner at home with Adam's parents.  It was such a relaxing evening and so nice to be home.  I just love hanging out at home with my man!

Your prayers are amazing and God is answering them, please never give up praying for my man. Please, please never stop praying for him... his time of healing is critical right now and he's making significnat gains, we need your prayers now as much as we needed them in the beginning of this journey. I know many of you don't read every day anymore, but I encourage you to please pray every day, please. We really cannot do this joureny without all of you, and we are so thankful and blessed that you all have been praying for us and encouraging us for the last year. Although these words are used often, I mean it from the deepest part of my soul... thank you!

Footprints In The Sand: Author Unknown

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

8 comments:

Doug Mortensen said...

Amy, I am still praying everyday — not just for Adam, but you, too. Your obedience to God is amazing, and an example for all of us.

Anonymous said...

on my way to the campus i still do pray for your fam... it's sort of habit and you guys got so close to my heart over the past year it's like praying for my own folks.
i'm very, very happy that adam is doing so great and i'm sure God will give him the help and encouragement to overcome all odds, step by step, day by day, just hold on and trust the Lord, he is pretty loving and caring.
big hug,
anita

Karie Garner said...

Amy,
I am still praying for you and Adam and will continue to. I am so excited to read your posts and see how well he is doing!! Both of you are truly an inspiration to all who know you and all who read your blog. Thank you for taking the time to update every day and share your words of wisdom with us. God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Your blog is part of my daily prayer time. I do read every day even though I don't comment. You encourage me to remember daily that God is in charge and by faith we are saved. I adore Adam. I am his Aunt and he has always held a special part of my heart from the time he was born. I am so very greatful God brought you and your daughter into Adams life and become such a godly family. The devotion you and others have shown is so humbling to me. I lift Adam up to you oh Lord and praise you for the mighty work you have done. I pray for Adam, you, your daughter, Adam's parents and his family and friends as well as those who work and care for Adam for blessings, strenght, god's guiding, Jesus covering, faith, love, hope and continued healing and spiritual growth for all. Amen

Wanda said...

Amy, I want to thank you for the opportunity to pray daily for all of you and to share in the answered prayers.

autumn weikert said...

Adam,
Your brain is amazing!! I have always marveled at your determination and smarts. Each day I have read the blog and fervently prayed for you and the whole family. Once again you are blowing me away with your strength, talent and tenacity. The calling and gifting the Lord on your life cannot be taken away. You will fulfill the plan and purpose God has for you. One day we will cook out again and laugh at crazy stuff. I have been taking care of the orchid you gave Amy last year. It is also growing beautifully just like you. I will send a picture soon. I count it a blessing to call you my friend and brother in Christ. Our family loves you dearly. The Weikerts

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You know that our family starts & ends each day reading the blog, praising God for His many awesome miracles in this journey, and praying for continued healing in Adam - as well as for you and Mackenzie ! We look at each of the steps as "seasons" - things may change from season to season - but God commands us to pray without ceasing no matter what each season brings ! So we do !
The LaPianas

Anonymous said...

I love you. You are a part of my morning or evening...sometimes both, DAILY. I continue to trust FAther for you and your sweet family. I am SOOOOOO glad you have a place to bring Adam, even just for the evening. Hugs, Marion

Blog Archive