Monday, April 25, 2011

To God Be The Glory

What a wonderful day!  Thank you all for praying for Mackenzie, she had a fantastic first day of school here in Orlando!  She has not stopped talking about one girl in particular so hopefully this will be the beginning of a wonderful friendship for her!  Before school this morning I was telling Mackenzie that God has made her a mighty warrior too, she has heard me tell Adam so many times that he's a mighty warrior, but this morning was the first time she has heard me say it to her.  She is a warrior and I am so proud of her too, just like God has equipped and sustained Adam and myself for this journey, He has done the same for her.  I am so proud of her ability to adapt and do what she has to do (starting a new school every time Adam's been transferred).  Last week was a rough week of transition with her, but after establishing a routine and getting back to school today, she seems to be doing so much better!  Thank you for your prayers.

To God be the glory for how far he has brought Adam. In a few weeks it will have been a year since Adam's accident and all I can say is, to God be the glory! Through God's strength and mighty hand, Adam has defied all the odds stacked up against him... it's only by God's hand that Adam is where He is today! He is worthy of all my praise, all my adoration, all my attention... to Him be the glory. Jeremiah 9:24 "But let him that glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord which exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight", says the Lord.
I am amazed at Adam's progress in one week's time of being here at NeuroRestorative.  His voice is back!!!!  Praise the Lord!!!!  He's talking and using his voice so clearly and loudly!  It's amazing!  Today he even told me that he needed his computer because he needed to program something.  He initiated quite a few conversations today and backed me up in my parenting Mackenzie.  I was telling her to do something and she wasn't moving to do it, and Adam said in his firm dad voice, "Mackenzie go now, listen to your mom"!!!  I told him what an amazing dad he is!  He was involved in a meet and greet group today and he introduced himself and told the group that he had his wife Amy and daughter Mackenzie, he also let the group know the company that he works for!  To God be the glory!

Adam's done so amazing in the time that we have been here, he's become so much more independent.  After being helped into the shower, he showers himself, and then after being assisted out he dresses himself!  I was told that he requested that no female staff is to help him, only the guys.  In occupational therapy today Terri (his occupational therapist) assisted Adam with his activities of daily living, this means helping him get his day started and establishing a routine, she also assists Adam in getting ready for his day.  She showed Adam how to get from his bed to his chair and he did most of it by himself.

In speech therapy today Adam had the best speech therapy session I have seen yet!  He put together puzzles, and spoke clearly and loudly answering every question that Lilly (speech therapist) asked him.  It was amazing!  He told her the days of the week and counted as high as she asked!  He's amazing!  After speech Adam participates in yoga, he would have never tried yoga before his accident, but today he told me he really likes yoga.  This afternoon he had physical therapy with Lisa (his physical therapist), they played badminton together and then walked around the entire facility, it was the longest walk I've seen Adam do!  Adam used his walker and she helped show him how to keep the walker on the ground and that was it...  he did the rest, he's so strong!  After taking a break this afternoon, the rest of the day he tried to stand on his own and tried getting out of his chair.  He told me he wanted to walk for himself instead of having to walk his chair around too.  He's come so far and to God be the glory!

With Adam making such huge gains and becoming so much more alert and aware, I won't always get to be in his therapy sessions because it could get really distracting.  At Spaulding Adam would be in the gym with so many therapists and so many other patients, but when he's in the gym here it's just him and the therapist for the most part, so I don't want to be a distraction... he's working so hard.  But today was nice to be able to see all his therapy sessions and to spend the whole day with him.  Tonight when I was leaving, I told him that I felt like the luckiest girl in the world, because he's such an amazing husband and he works so hard for his family, he told me he was the lucky one... I think we're both blessed to have each other.  I just love him! To God be the glory.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled about Mackenzie's day at school. I will trust Father for her friendship(s). I rejoice with you in how well Adam is doing. My youngest granddaughter's name is Lily. Different spelling, but still neat. Her sister is Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn is now 8 years old. I love you guys, and look forward to getting your new mailing address. I have something for Mackenzie. I won it at my Kaitlyn's school bingo. hugs, Marion

Anonymous said...

amy, i'm so exited for you, this is just great it's SO wonderful to hear how well adam is doing. god is good, bless you all,
anita

Karie Garner said...

Amy, I'm so excited to hear all the good news on Adam! He is doing amazing and I am so happy for all of you. I'm so glad Mackenzie is adjusting well to her new school. Enjoy that warm Florida sunshine! To God be the Glory!

Colleen said...

Hi Amy, I am so happy to hear how well things are going in FL, what wonderful news. God is so good, all the time!

Jewel said...

I am so happy and thankful to hear EVERYTHING! Wow, it's so great to know that you are in a good (and warm) place:) I got together with Colleen Megan and Krista the other day and we were all talking about how encouraging your journey has been to us all! I love you and am continuing praying, mostly spending time thanking God for the works He's doing:)

autumn weikert said...

Yahoo!!!! I am envisioning you in my kitchen and together we are jumping up and down rejoicing in the amazing God we serve. I'm surprised you can't hear me all the way in Florida shouting for joy!! I love you guys so much. Yes Mackenzie is a mighty warrior for the Lord. Please give her a squeeze and kiss from us. Love you so so so much. Autumn

Cindy Winter-Hartley said...

That is incredible! What a precious family you have! Just wait until Adam can read your blog, what a humbling gift it will surely be! Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

I think I might cry. Our God is so incredible! I love you so much, Amy! Say hello to Adam and Mackenzie for me . . . :)

Kelsey

Blog Archive