Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Date Night With God

In the beginning of this journey I can recall the very moment that God washed me with His peace the day of Adam's accident.  He told me that He has given that peace for the whole journey not just for that day.  In the midst of decisions needing to be made in regards to our next step, yesterday I was feeling overwhelmed even thinking about another transition and another move that still isn't home.  When I got home last night I was a mess of feelings... so I decided to make it a date night with my Lord.  I love my date nights with Him, I minimize all distractions, and focus my attention to Him.  I immerse myself in worship music and devour His word as though I am listening intently for what He is telling me about who He is.  I don't expect everyone to understand this concept and that's okay.  But I challenge you all that if you are the least bit intrigued by this... set aside a date night and watch how God will woo you and show you things about Him that make you remain in a consistent state of awe.

So last night as I was praying over upcoming decisions and grabbing hold of the peace He has promised me, He clearly reminded  me that it's not going to take the best facility or the best doctor for God to heal Adam... it's only going to take my continued trust and faith in who He says He is.  He can work in any circumstance from anywhere... stressing myself out, wondering if I was making the right decisions for our next steps, questioning did I choose the right facility, is the doctor there going to be able to meet all of Adam's needs, will Adam have what he needs to keep progressing, is the therapy that's offered truly going to be what it's going to take to bring Adam to the next level... all these questions... I realized, when God told me that it's not going to take the best facility, the best therapy program, the best doctor, it's only going to take my continued faith in Him... I was trying to put God in a box. 

Oh Lord forgive me, for I am so weak, and I failed to see that You are in all things and working them together for Your good.  Forgive me Lord for not thinking beyond my circumstances to recognize Your power, Your strength, Your ability to heal.   Forgive me for my lack of faith, Lord I ask you to fill me with faith like I have never experienced before.  Lord, I stand in awe of who You are, God You are all knowing, You are the God of the impossible, You parted seas, turned water into wine, You are the great physician... and tonight Lord, I thank you that You have plans for Adam, plans to rebuild him from the inside out.  Thank you God for Your peace for this journey and Your grace for the moment, it is truly sufficient.  Oh how I love you.  Thank you Lord for the healing in Adam that has already taken place, thank for the healing that is taking place right now as Adam sleeps, and thank you for the healing that is yet to come.  It's in your mighty name I pray... Amen.

Thank you all for praying for Adam to get a better nights rest last night, he slept well and was able to have a great day today!  Adam's day started early with occupational therapy working with him on showering again.  Today was the first time we have seen Adam initiate washing his lower extremities!  He flawlessly put on his own deodorant!  These are big steps for him!  Next up was speech therapy, to minimize distractions no one is to be in the sessions with Adam except the therapists and Adam... so I am reporting most of his speech sessions second hand, Brooke said that he did great today, she said that he conversed well when he was asked questions.  She also worked with Adam on using the iPad, she said by the end of the session he was ready for a break. 

After lunch Adam finished his therapy day with physical therapy... Anne pulled another trick out of her sleeve.  She used a vital stem machine (this machine helps force the muscle to contract in order to manipulate a response), she got exactly what she wanted.  She was able to see that Adam was able to step properly with his right foot pushing forward.  Right now what he does is step forward and across, because his muscle is so weak on the right. So with a little more strengthening exercises hopefully it will show more improvement.  I am amazed and so proud of my man for how far he has come, his strength and endurance continues to marvel me.  I know his strength and endurance are a result with how much my man trusts that God is in control, and I am so proud to be the wife of such a Godly, man of integrity, a humble man...  I just love him so much.

Tonight as I am getting ready to lay my head on my pillow, I am surrounded by God's abundant peace, and I trusting in Him and all that He has planned for our family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO, I DO, I DO understand about date nights with God. I didn't call by that name, BUT it fits. Isn't it just like Father to show you so gently, who is doing the healing...He himself, not the facility or the doctors. I love how gently Father deals with us. I love you and continue to trust Father for you and your sweet family, Marion

Mary Strynar said...

Matt 10:29-31 "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." I'm reading a book called "Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to finding God's Will or How to make a decision without dreams, visions, fleeces, impressions, opening doors, random Bible verses, casting lots, liver shivers, writing in the sky, etc." by Kevin DeYoung. In his book he quotes Matt 10 and states, "God micromanages our lives. He doesn't just plan out a few big ticket items. Praise the Lord, He knows the smallest sparrow and the grayest hair. And neither falls to the ground unless our Heavenly Father wills it." God is with you. I love the date night with God idea. I know what it feels like to be in such a frame of worship and immersed in scripture that a long stretch of time has gone by. Planning an actually date night sounds fabulous!

Debbie said...

Taken from Jesus Calling by: Sarah Young...Today's Devotion: March 24th

This is a time in your life when you must learn to let go: of loved ones, of possessions, of control. In order to let go of something that is precious to you, you need to rest in My Presence, where you are complete. Take time to bask in the Light of My Love. As you relax more and more, your grasping hand gradually opens up, releasing your prized possession into My care.

You can feel secure, even in the midst of cataclysmic changes, through awareness of My continual Presence. The One who never leaves you is the same One who never changes: I am the same yesterday, today, and forever. As you release more and more things into My care, remember that I never let go of your hand. Herein lies your security, which no one and no circumstance can take from you.

Psalm 89:15; Hebrews 13:8; Isaiah 41:13

Anonymous said...

Amy, I re-read your blog this morning. Please tell your friend Debbie thank you for her entry. I love you, Marion

Blog Archive