Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Awe Of God's Presence

Another busy and exciting day here at Spaulding...

Adam's day started with speech therapy early this morning... he was able to start with trials of puree and liquids.  He did great and tolerated it all perfectly, tomorrow I will get to be trained on feeding him... I am so excited to see him progress towards a normal diet!

In occupational therapy Adam worked on reaching up and towards an object, the goal and purpose was to get to reach as far forward as possible to mimic the beginning steps of what it would feel like to move himself from sitting position to standing.  he did well.  At one point he ended up so close to the edge of the mat that that he reached his hands back and placed them on the edge of the mat and then lifted his body up and tried scooting himself back on the mat all by himself.  He is doing so awesome, please join me in praying that he would build muscle back quickly, he needs strength to do the things I know he really wants to do.  I continue to remind him that God is his strength when he is weak.  In physical therapy, I am so amazed with him getting more and more used to the parallel bars.  Erin has worked with Adam so much to stand and walk on the parallel bars because he is doing so well and making so much progress... she wants to keep pushing him towards walking on his own.  In between walks on the parallel bars, Erin allows Adam to have a break, when he was on break I walked in front of him to encourage him to keep going... he motioned me forward and kissed my cheek... I love my man, how sweet and tender he is... I just love him.

My favorite moment today came as I was tucking him in for the night... every night after I am done getting Adam all ready for bed the 3 of us pray together (Adam, Mackenzie, and myself).  I always ask him to hold my hands and then I grab his hands.  Tonight however when I asked if I could pray with him, he said yes and handed me his hands.  When I finished praying I said Amen, and Adam as clear as can be said Amen... Mackenzie and I were so excited, this was the first she clearly heard him speak.  She has seen him nod his head and when he has spoken she has had a hard time understanding him, but not tonight... she clearly understood him and was elated. 

After we finished praying, I was laying next to Adam in bed just talking with him for a few minutes and I said to Adam "You're my favorite"  (For those of you who don't know I posted about this early on... Adam would tell me multiple times a day that I was his favorite, ever since we were dating he would do this.  Click here to read the post.)  Tonight when I said it to him, he gave me a smile, and said "no, you're my favorite", then leaned over and kissed my forehead 3 times... this will be a moment that I will forever cherish.  My man told me I was his favorite, I just love him so much!

Many of you know I have been reading the book of Joshua with Adam, every time I read I see the parallel between the Israelites and everything they went through, Joshua having to trust in God for every battle, and how all of this relates and parallels to Adam's journey.  I got goose bumps when I read the following passage... Joshua 5:13-15 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”  “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell face down to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord have for his servant?” The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.

I feel that with Adam's miraculous week we've been having and all that has been taking place... I feel like I too am standing on Holy ground... I just feel the presence of God surrounding us.  I may not have had an encounter with the commander of the Lord's army, but I am sure we have experienced an encounter with God as we are seeing His fingerprints all over Adam's brain as it's recovering.  We will continue to trust in Him and have Him guide our steps.  I just am in awe of all that God has done in Adam's journey, all that He is doing, and all that He has planned... it has only just begun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Root Family,
We continue to read, pray and give thanks to the Holy One of Israel for all HE is doing in ALL of your lives. Praise God from Whom All blessings flow! So thrilled with all of the recent improvements. Never, Never, Never, give up!
Vicky Scott

Anonymous said...

The other night you made a request of your prayer warriors. I love the fact that you are aware of your prayer warriors and bet you have no clue as to the size of the army of prayer warriors you have. It must be mighty and strong as God has been listening and acting upon Adam as I have never seen. You have done an outstanding job as leader of this army and champion of Adam. Not only do I say GO ADAM, I have to say GO AMY as well. I am sure that you are Adam's favorite and Adam is beyond lucky to have you as wife, friend and advocate. May the blessings of the recent past be multiplied in the future!

Jess said...

Love what God is doing in Adam! We are continuing to pray!

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Remarkable and praiseworthy! You have a story to tell and share, I feel honored to hear of all the things the Lord is doing! What an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy, How happy I am. How sweet to share such a private gift. Thank you. I am glad Mackenzie was able to hear her dad speak so clearly. I love you guys, I look at your prayer card daily. (my sons do too) I continue to trust Father for your sweet family. Marion

Blog Archive