Thursday, January 13, 2011

Better Than Old, Better Than New!

I am so overwhelmed with joy, I have felt all your prayers all day today!  Adam has had an amazing day and I thank you all for praying for my man!

Adam's day started with a shower!  He was able to wash his face, upper torso, and stomach.  He reached up to help wash his hair!  It is so exciting to see him participate in his daily needs.  After occupational therapy helped wash, him Adam helped Karla get him dressed.  I'm telling you, he gets stronger and stronger every day!   He was pretty sleepy after occupational therapy, I just prayed that he could wake up for the day.  In speech therapy, Adam worked on ice chips, and communication... I just love how hard Stacie works for Adam and advocates for my man.  After talking with her she has agreed to do 2 thirty minute sessions a day with Adam instead of one hour long session.  I think this is a great idea and I think this will be a great change for his therapies.  Right now, Adam only lasts in speech a half hour before he gets bored and gives up... so I am excited to see how this new method will work tomorrow.

The exciting news today happened in physical therapy, Erin signed Adam up to use this machine called the Lokomat.  It's a robotic machine that suspends you in air and the robot harness moves you as the treadmill underneath is going forward.  Below is a picture of the machine... you can't really get a feel for how it works, but I thought I would show the picture anyway.  I could tell Adam really enjoyed it, the machine tells us how much of the work Adam is doing on his own on each side.  He did fantastic!  Erin said she was going to sign him up to use it again soon.  After he walked for 20 minutes which passed his goal that Erin set for him... he was tuckered out.  I am so proud of him.


After Adam rested for about an hour or so,  I took him on our nightly stroll. I pushed his chair up and down the halls on his floor, talking with other patients, nurses, and family members.  Tonight was the most interactive he has been with all the people we bumped into.  Even the staff kept commenting about how great it is to see him so alert and aware.  I just loved our walk.  Half way through our walk we stopped by the kitchen and I filled a cup with with ice and put a spoon in the cup... I reached my arm out towards Adam and he reached to grab the cup from me, then he scooped the spoon which had some ice on it and brought it towards his mouth and fed himself some ice chips.  He's amazing!  GO ADAM!  I think he was thirsty from all the strolling around we did.  I loved that God answered so many of our prayers today by awaking Adam and making him alert.

Adam's dad flew in tonight and it was good to spend some time with Jack.  He kept commenting over and over again, that this was the first visit he has seen that Adam was so alert and awake.  I am so glad he was able to see so much progress.  Adam is truly making some great gains.  Adam has such an amazing team of Doctors, therapists, and his 3 main nurses... we are blessed.

This is the scripture verse I have chosen to pray over Adam.  I ask that God will prepare Adam's mind for action, the action of healing... I pray that we will be able to set our hope fully on our Savior.  1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful and grateful for how far Adam has come.  I am amazed by our God daily, and his miraculous hand, I can't wait to see what's in store.  Please don't ever give up on praying for my man.  The other day when Holly and I were visiting she prayed over Adam and she prayed that he would be better than old and better than new... I just loved that and I started praying that Adam would be better than old, better than new.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the encouraging day we have been praying for....I hope you all really enjoy Jacks visit. Go Adam keep up the good work! Love you all, Kimberly

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

That is just awesome! I love how you see all the things Adam is doing as blessings! It sounds like he truly loves you and is working really hard. Glory to God!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful answers to our prayers! Yes, Adam you are amazing !! God is blessing your perseverence ! He's doing a wonderful work through your family's faith journey. Amy is an amazing cheerleader and helpmate. I love this verse and it reminds me of your family.... "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." love to you all, Jan and Wayne

Anonymous said...

Dear one, I rejoice with you in how Adam is doing. Thank you for being so thourough in your updates. I learn so much and have a far grater understanding because of you. :) I continue to trust for Adam's complete recovery and for your and Mackenzie's strength and understanding and peace during this time. I love you guys, Marion

Blog Archive