Sunday, December 5, 2010

So Grateful

One thing daily that I am discovering... my circumstances will only ever be as good as my perspective.  Choosing to be grateful daily, is just that... it's a choice.  A choice I wish I could say I have made every day, but I know that's not true.  Some days are easier than others.  One thing is for sure, the Bible is clear, even though it is difficult to hear. Paul says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). The words are hard but we need to wrestle with them. This is a tough verse for many people,  
  • for someone who has lost a spouse/or like me dealing with the grief daily of a tragic accident
  • for the person who had a miscarriage of a baby they wanted badly
  • for the person who's body is devastated by the treatments they are receiving
  • for the person who feels they are barely "existing" in the Nursing home
  • for the person who is overwhelmed by financial demands
  • for the person who has to helplessly see their child suffer
  • for the person who lives with a cloud of depression over them
  • for the person who recently stood at the fresh dug grave of someone they love
  • for the person who feels suffocated by their loneliness
In each of these cases, the idea of "giving thanks" is very difficult. In fact, it's not just difficult. It seems impossible. Praise God that He loves us so much that He protects us from seeing the whole picture before we are ready and capable of handling it.  I am so grateful for a God who is working beyond my current circumstances... Amen?!!!  David said we should give thanks because, "the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." (Psalm 100:5) This teaches us that we are to give thanks to affirm, trust, and celebrate the character of God.  I am giving thanks for the Savior who made hope possible. Giving thanks for God's plan to save us. Giving thanks for the baby in the manger, the teacher on the hillside, the Savior on the cross, the resurrected Lord, and the coming King. Giving thanks for Jesus in every circumstance because He is our reason for hope. It is faith in Him that has made us new. It is faith in His provision that brings us eternal life.  No matter what you're facing there is joy to be found, I challenge you to be intentional in looking for the joy and giving thanks that God has given you only what you can handle at this time.

Tonight I have so much to be thankful and grateful for.  My man loves me!!!  Today I asked Adam if he wanted a kiss and he lifted his head off his pillow to kiss me and then he smiled, how sweet... he shows me every day how much he loves me!  I am so thankful for how much more aware and alert Adam is, alert enough to kiss me and smile at me.  Praise the Lord for all that He has done, and is doing!!!  Adam did a great job communicating with head nods today.  Tonight when I was leaving, I asked him to pray with me and he nodded yes, as we finished praying I explained that it was time for me to leave, I asked him to dream about me tonight and he nodded his head yes...  I pray that the Lord gives Adam sweet dreams tonight.


Mackenzie had a busy day today, she was able to participate in all the pediatric events today.  She helped paint and decorate the cafeteria windows with a group of volunteers, then a youth group from a local church came to the pediatric unit and made stockings with the kids and brought games, and a tree to decorate.  It was such a blessing to have such wonderful events inside the hospital that she was able to participate in.  This made me very appreciative for all the hospital volunteers,  Thank you to all the hospital volunteers.

Adam's brother Brad and his mom are in town it's been fun visiting with them.   We all went for a nice walk this afternoon and this evening shared stories it was so enjoyable listening to Cookie share about what it was like when she was dating Jack and listening to stories about the boys as they were growing up.  It was fun recalling memories that we have all shared together. 

Specific Prayer Requests For This Week...
  1. Pray for Adam's surgery to be done sooner than later, his trach is really bothering him and he keeps trying to pull at it.
  2. Pray for a speedy recovery, pray that this surgery would propel him forward and not hinder any progress that has been made
  3. Pray for Adam's muscle tone, he seems to be in some pain and is very tight
  4. Pray for Adam to stay alert and awake during his therapies and for most of the day
  5. Pray that Adam will be able to talk soon
  6. Pray that Adam will continue to make huge gains in the area of processing.  (he's already doing amazing)
  7. Pray for everyone who is involved with Adam's care, pray for wisdom and discernment in making decisions regarding his treatments
Thank you all so much for praying for us regularly, we cannot do this without all of you.  You all have been an inspiration to me and a blessing to my family.  I am so thankful and grateful for all of you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lifting praise daily and thanking God for Adams FULL RECOVERY. Standing with you all believing for miracles and strength. So good to be back in touch...you were off line one day then i was off three days...but always praying!

I heard you like your new boots! I got some just like them the same day...so warm and cozy.

Please give my love to Adam and Makenzie too.. Please tell him that we all miss him terribly and even though we can't be there...we are with you all in spirit...and that we hold you in our prayers and hearts moment by moment.

Love you, Aunt Kimberly

Anonymous said...

ticisLifting praise daily and thanking God for Adams FULL RECOVERY. Standing with you all believing for miracles and strength. So good to be back in touch...you were off line one day then i was off three days...but always praying!

I heard you like your new boots! I got some just like them the same day...so warm and cozy.

Please give my love to Adam and Makenzie too.. Please tell him that we all miss him terribly and even though we can't be there...we are with you all in spirit...and that we hold you in our prayers and hearts moment by moment.

Love you, Aunt Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me the chance to pray for you. I will pray your list right on through and trust Father to answer the list right on through. I love you, Marion

Anonymous said...

Daily we pray for Adam's FULL RECOVERY and for peace and strength for each of you!! Your daily blog message brings tears of gratitude for your friendship and for the amazing progress Adam is making. Thank you so much for taking the time daily to update us. Thank you Amy for your faithfulness to your God, your man, your daughter, your friends and family. It is evident that the "joy of the Lord" is indeed your strength.

Love you, Jan

Anonymous said...

•and also for someone whose husband lived a double life and committed adultery with women outside of their marriage because of his "sexual addiction".
Yes, even so, give thanks, because living in the light (finding out) is better than living in the dark.

Blog Archive