Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Do Not Dwell In The Past

I have posted many times about how important it has been for me to stay in the moment. Over the last couple of weeks, I have learned to realize why it's so important. At first it kept me from thinking about what is to come, and just taking it moment by moment, and that is still extremely important. But even more importantly and what I have just begun to realize is it keeps me from dwelling in the past, it keeps me from wishing for what I once had. Now, let me distinguish for a moment the difference between enjoying the memories and longing for the past... I cherish my memories we shared before Adam's accident and think about them often... but I can't wish to go back there. Things will never be the same, we will never be the same... God has done such a work already in our family and it has only just begun. So when I have those wishful thoughts I have to be quick to take them captive and tear them down, because those thoughts keep me out of this moment, and this moment is the moment we have been given.

There is so much to be thankful for in this moment, if I am focused on the past, I miss out on the blessing this moment has to offer. Lord, keep my obedient to Your will in this moment, help me to keep my eyes on you. May my eyes not stray to the left or right, but stay focused on You and what You have given me in this moment. Thank you Lord, for how far you have brought Adam, thank you Lord for forever changing our lives and pulling us closer to you. Thank you Lord for the lives that You have changed through this journey. Thank you Lord that You never leave me. Thank you for Your word and Your promises. Isaiah 43:18-19 “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Thank you Lord, that you are making streams in the wasteland, that You are doing a new thing in Adam's healing... I praise You Lord for all that You have done, all that You are doing, and all that You will do...Thank you Jesus for this journey. Amen.

Adam had another great day! In speech therapy this morning he followed commands 8 out of 10 times perfectly and promptly! The amazing thing in speech today... Adam stayed alert and awake for the whole session, this is the first time he has made it through speech being awake! Go Adam!!! In physical therapy, Erin put Adam in the walking machine and Adam lifted his right foot and kicked it forward! This is the first time in the walking machine where he did 80 percent of the work, usually Erin ends up pushing Adam's legs or holding one back, and today he did awesome, he did so much of the work himself!!! Adam and I play catch a lot, and rarely would give the ball back to me, I would have to really prompt him to open his hands and give me the ball, but today in occupational therapy we were playing catch and he pushed the ball back to me every time I threw the ball at him! I am praising God tonight for Adam's progress.

Becky, Adam's occupational therapist has left Spaulding and Adam hasn't been reassigned an occupational therapist yet, continuity is so important to Adam, please pray that he will be assigned the right therapist for him. One that will challenge him and one that he will respond consistently to. Please keep praying for Adam's FULL recovery.

Mackenzie stayed and played in the snow with the Hooper's, this afternoon Kevin texted me this picture of Mackenzie and Melissa sledding... in case you can't tell, she had a blast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Mackenzie had a fun day in to the snow with friends...we are praying for snow so we can do the same.
As usual I am totally blessed to read your posts...it is always encouraging to see how god is building you up as you trust in him. Praying daily for all three of you and for FULL RECOVERY!
I was blessed beyond words to talk to you the other day! Give Adam and Mackenzie my love and give each other a hug from me.
Love you, Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the poignent reminder NOT TO DWELL ON THE PAST!!!!! I needed that. Father will bless you mightily for sharing His Truths so faithfully. Yay for Adam's doing so well. Was he into sports much before the accident? My favorite snow memory from childhood, is jumping off my dad's 8 foot greenhouse into the snowbanks. Now I wonder how i did it. Ah, the courage of youth. Much love to all of you, Marion

Blog Archive