Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Beginning of Advent

I love me some family time! I can tell so many of you have been praying for us because we have had some awesome family time this weekend, we have been all together and I haven't had to choose to be wife or mom, I have been able to be both at the same time! Praise the Lord, I am so thankful for this time! Mackenzie got Adam a Nerf basketball hoop and ball that light up, so today we set it up and Mackenzie, Adam, and I played basketball... it was a blast... Adam did great! He is still doing a great job playing catch with me every day as well. Technically Sundays he doesn't have therapies, but I don't really give him the day off. We still play, I still stretch him, and work on therapy techniques that the therapists have all taught me... so for Adam there really isn't any days off, however, when he is sleeping, I let him sleep without bothering him or making a noise... and believe it or not, Mackenzie is really good about this as well!

Today marks the beginning of Advent. The word Advent means "coming" or "arrival." The focus of the entire season is the celebration of the birth of Jesus the Christ in his First Advent, and the anticipation of the return of Christ the King in his Second Advent. Thus, Advent is far more than simply marking a 2,000 year old event in history. It is celebrating a truth about God, the revelation of God in Christ whereby all of creation might be reconciled to God.

I have been really praying that God would give me a all consuming love and focus for Him this season, after all, that is what this season is all about.  I don't want to sound like Scrooge, but I am just not in the "holiday spirit".  Don't mistake me, I am in the Christmas spirit, and try to remain there all year... being in the Christmas spirit, for me means keeping my life and attention focused on Christ, and His return.  As for the holiday spirit, I think of that as the worldly traditions... shopping, tree decorating, holiday parties... again please don't get upset with me, just hear me out... these traditions are fun and wonderful, but they are not what makes this season fun and wonderful. This season is fun and wonderful when I reflect on the beauty of Messiah being born and eventually tearing the veil so that I can have a personal relationship and eternal life with Him... how is this not wonderful?!!!

Last year I had read and followed on facebook the Advent Conspiracy, which challenges us to worship fully, spend less, give more, love all.  I want to just focus in on the "worship fully".  Their website describes worshiping fully this way... "It starts with Jesus. It ends with Jesus. This is the holistic approach God had in mind for Christmas. It’s a season where we are called to put down our burdens and lift a song up to our God. It’s a season where love wins, peace reigns, and a king is celebrated with each breath. It’s the party of the year. Entering the story of advent means entering this season with an overwhelming passion to worship Jesus to the fullest."  I love this!  This gets me so excited to worship, it truly is a holistic approach, and I challenge you to take a holistic approach to this advent season.  This week, I am praying for God to consume me, to show me what it means to worship fully, to renew my mind... to keep my focus and attention on Him, and Him alone.  I challenge you to take a moment, ignore the hustle and bustle... sit down with a cup of coffee, open God's Word and hear what He has to say...  Beloved, He is telling you how much He loves you, it's all over His Word.  Worship does not just happen on Sundays in a church service, it is a life experience all day every day if you choose to make it that way, so dear friends... WORSHIP FULLY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!! I need to remember to worship fully. Marion

Blog Archive