Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Smile Is Worth A Thousand Words

Here is the story that I have been promising for 2 days now...  Our transfer and flight to Boston.

So on Tuesday once the doctors at UNC cleared Adam to be discharged, my rock star case manager at UNC Jenn spent most of her morning tracking down Sharon (the admissions manager at Spaulding) to see if they were still willing to take Adam even though WakeMed called our Tuesday transfer off.  Thankfully between Jenn and Sharon, they were able to work out all the details and we were on our way to Boston.

The medical air flight team was amazing!  Jason and Heather transferred Adam from bedside at UNC to bedside at Spaulding.  When we left UNC I called Bob and Connie (my North Carolina parents) and they met us on the tarmac at RDU where Adam's medical flight was taking off from.  Adam did great on the flight, his bed was next to the windows and he looked out the window almost the entire flight.  Jason and Heather were great keeping me company and taking care of Adam.  Adam did require a little bit of oxygen when we got up to our traveling altitude, but other than he did amazing.  When we landed it was at least 25-30 degrees cooler in Boston than in North Carolina... BRRRRR.

Once Adam arrived at Spaulding and nursing got him all settled for the evening, Adam went right to sleep he was exhausted... he was admitted into 3 hospitals in 24 hours.



 Mary, Jenn (the rockstar), Me, and Debbie saying our "see ya later"'s

 Heather and Jason

Adam had another awesome day in therapies!  He slept 10 hours last night which really helped prepare him for his busy, busy day.  He started this morning with me pestering him, I bathed him, got him dressed, cut his nails, shaved him, and then it was time for speech therapy with his therapist Brooke.  Adam responded to different sounds and tracked all objects.  The other speech therapist Meredith and the Respiratory therapists evaluated Adam and think there is a strong possibility to remove his trach by end of next week!

After speech he was off to occupational therapy with Becky.  Adam did amazing, he really likes working with Becky, he responds so differently to her then any other therapist that Adam has worked with.  He made strong efforts and even aided in pulling himself off the side she had him laying on.  He held his head up and continued to move his head in tracking.  The best part... I was encouraging Adam and when I was cheering him on he turned his head to find my voice, looked around till he locked onto me and them HE SMILED!!!!  It was his first smile in over 5 months and he gave it to me!!!  I am the luckiest girl in the world, I love my man!  Mother Teresa once said "Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."  Love is a verb, not just a feeling, and Adam worked hard today to express his love for me, I love him and his smile!!

I was able to take Adam outside today for a walk, it was chilly but with him wrapped up and bundled good he seemed to enjoy it.  We walked along the Charles River and watched the boats and trains pass, it was great to spend some time with him outside of a hospital.

This morning Adam's view from his window had such a great view of the sunrise that I had to snap a photo, below is the picture that I took from Adam's window in his room.

I had a conversation today with the case manager of our insurance company and she is already wanting to plan where Adam goes once he's discharged from Spaulding.  At first I was thinking that's a little premature and I don't have to think about it, then she was saying there's a chance that Adam will be at Spaulding short term and we need to be thinking about future plans.  After I got off the phone with her I was a little panicked thinking I haven't even settled here in Boston and you're already talking about moving again... whoa.  Then God reminded me that He has walked this whole journey ahead of me and He will guide my steps, right now I have to focus on the moment I have been given and give thanks and rejoice that I have this moment and Adam with me in this moment.  Praise the Lord for this moment!  Matthew 6: 33-34 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Psalm 118:24 "  Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." 

These are scripture verses that you all are familiar with, but meditate on them. I ask God everyday that He would show me how to stay in the moment and not to worry about what tomorrow brings.  I challenge you do the same, and see what God has planned for you in this moment.  If you find yourself worrying about what is yet to come, tear that thought down and take it captive, then ask for His forgiveness in not rejoicing in the moment He has given.  I too will be working on this challenge.  Staying in the moment is difficult, yet there is so much joy in the moment.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Yeah, Amy! You made it! Rejoicing with you! Living in the moment--what freedom that brings. Thank you for the challenge.

Ben and Katie said...

I am glad that your move went smoothy and that you are getting all settled in! Sounds like Adam is doing amazing...so thankful for that!
I was hit up within the first few days with the same, "where will your next step be from here?" Frustrating yes but it is what I was taught in nursing school so it was not all that new! They say discharge happens the moment they come into the hospital! But guess what...the more Adam improves those "plans" can always be changed! Keeps those case managers on their toes!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

My eyes filled with tears as I read today's post ... Adam's first smile in 5 months! Praise God!! I continue to pray for you, Adam and Mackenzie. Our God surely is a God of miracles ...

Love, Sheri (Snohomish, WA)

Christina said...

I'm sitting here crying after reading your blog! I'm so excited you got a smile- I know that meant SO much to you! I was just doing my Bible study this morning and in the introduction to this week's lesson there were a few sentences that really caught my attention: "This week, ask the Lord to remind you that terrible circumstances do not negate His perfect love nor thwart His perfect plan. Ask Him for His perspective on your concerns." This week has had some crazy stuff in it and these sentences were perfect in reminding me to talk to God about it all...so I went to your blog because you remind me of God's love and care each day!
With love from your VA sister :-),
Christina

Anonymous said...

Amy, I rejoice with you for your smile. You remind me to be thankful for my honey's smile. Thank you so much for the reminder to trust Father in the moment, for the moment. I will acept the challenge and walk with it. I will trust with you for Adam, and where you are to be. Your new friend, Marion Hansen

Blog Archive