Saturday, October 2, 2010

Choosing Faith and Given Peace

James 2:14-25
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.


James is my most favorite book of the bible, and today I was really struggling with trusting God (story to come in a second) and all I could think about is this passage, I felt like God was saying to me... "Let me see your actions to go with your faith. let me see that you trust me, do you have enough faith in me to trust me?"   My prayer is that my faith always be backed by deeds and works of God working in me and through me, I want to be refined consistently, I don't want to wake up tomorrow and be the same person I am right now.

My struggle today has been trusting that God really is the one in control, no matter what course Adam takes, God is in control of his journey.  This morning Adam had a low grade fever (he's still on antibiotics, so a low grade fever is not a good thing), he was also sweating.  Thankfully he wasn't sweating like he did when he used to storm (I love saying that "he used to" it's nice that those have passed) but I first thought that he might have been storming.  Anyway, I talked with the doctor and with the fever they are keeping a very close eye on Adam.  By this evening Adam was fever free, praise the Lord!!!!  He spent most of the day sleeping, and had a couple of wake periods... he must still be recovering from his awesome day yesterday!  Here's where the trusting comes into play... when I saw him sweating and saw that he had a fever my thoughts instantly turned to thinking that his infection hit his shunt (which there is no evidence that it has at this point because neurologically speaking he's doing good).  Then my thoughts turned fearful and I started thinking about him having to go back to UNC and have more surgeries... I had to lay these fears down at the cross and ask forgiveness for being fearful and worrying instead of trusting that God is in control and He is walking before both Adam and myself.  I cannot worry and trust at the same time, it's impossible, so I am choosing to trust in Him... knowing He is in control no matter what happens.  As I prayed for Adam and I asked God to forgive me, I was given so much peace.  Peace that truly does surpass all understanding. 

Thank goodness for God's peace because Stacy and I leave bright and early for Boston.  We will be in Boston for less than 36 hours so it will be a whirlwind.  Please be praying for our trip and for us to be successful in finding the right place for Mackenzie and I to live.  Please also pray for Mackenzie while I am not with her.  I am excited to tour Spaulding and to meet Sharon (the admissions manager at Spaulding) who has been helping us and she has been a huge advocate for my man.

God has big plans for my mighty warrior and we will continue to choose to trust in Him as His plans for our family unfold.  We will walk in the path that he has set out before us, and we will listen to His calling where to go... and for now, it's Boston!

No comments:

Blog Archive