Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Trusting And Not Doubting

I am so grateful that my sister was able to send a quick update yesterday... yesterday was a whirlwind and today has been much of the same.

My day yesterday started with Adam's neuropsychologist examining him and determining that he was a still a Rancho 2, but that he was pushing a 3. I personally feel Adam is operating at a 3. I am there just about all day every day with him and I am able to see so much more than she can. This was only her second time meeting Adam, so I was a little upset by this. I run into the hall as often as I can to get nurses to document all that I see, but if it's not repeated and they don't see it, then it doesn't count. Adam is making so much progress and it's only a matter of time before they will see it consistently.

I have been trying for the last 2 months to find a program called an emerging consciousness program. The military operate 4 in the United States but I have had an impossible time finding one for civilians. It's a cutting edge program that helps patients like Adam move and progress out of a coma and onto rehab. For the last 2 months I have spent hours and hours researching different facilities and hospitals and I felt like I kept hitting a brick wall.

Then yesterday after meeting with the neuropsychologist I felt like hope was dwindling away, I was desperate for God to comfort me and open a door... and in my desperation and prayer He so faithfully did open a door! I found the only emerging consciousness program in the States that takes civilians. Adam has a really good chance at making it into the program. The doctors at this hospital have already been in touch with WakeMed and our insurance to try to evaluate whether or not this program will be a good fit. All this is good news and a good sign, however, we won't find out till Friday whether or not Adam has been accepted. Please pray that God's will, will be done. Pray that doors will open and things will fall into place if this is the right facility for Adam to go to and pray that if it's not then the doors will close and God will guide our steps to the right facility. I will let you know more details about the facility when we find out Adam's been accepted. Please pray. Please.

With this new development came a ton of phone calls for me, I was on the phone most of the day yesterday and this afternoon with insurance, Adam's employer (which his company is amazing!), and this potential facility. It's been a little hectic and emotional... but God is so good about bringing peace into such a crazy situation if I just trust him.

Today I had the opportunity to see the sunrise from the North Carolina coast (story to come in a moment) anyway, as I was sitting there this morning having my quiet time with God I read Matthew 14 where Jesus walks on water the story illustrates a story of trusting in God and not doubting. Jesus told Peter to "Come" and Peter walked onto the water and when the winds kick up takes his eyes off the Lord and begins to doubt and sink. Peter then reached out for Christ to save him and Jesus picked him up and put him back on the boat. Seeing this and how God is always there to reach out and save us if we call on Him. How much more should we be able to trust and not doubt when God calls us to "come"... we have this story we see the victory in this story we see that God is there to pick us up when we doubt... how much easier just to trust and not doubt, because we know God is there. I couldn't help but to reflect on my last 24 hours prior to this and I felt like God is telling me to "Come"... to trust in him fully and completely no matter where He takes us in this journey. One of my footnotes to this passage reads "Although we start out with good intentions, sometimes our faith falters. This doesn't necessarily mean we have failed. When Peter's faith faltered, he reached out to Christ, the only one who could help. He was afraid, but he still looked to Christ. When you are apprehensive about the troubles around you and doubt Christ's presence or ability to help, you must remember that he is the only one who can really help." I am trusting and not doubting that God has plans for Adam and plans to bring forth a FULL recovery... I am trusting in Him every step of the way through this journey and will continue to do so.
Today's Sunrise
So back to the North Carolina sunrise story... Our really good friends Scott and Stacy are at the beach this week with Scott's family and invited Mackenzie and I to join them. At first I said no way and couldn't think about getting away, but then with Monday and Tuesday being such difficult days and a little overwhelming I found myself needing a moment to get out of the hospital which seemed to feel as if it was closing in on me. Sitting in Adam's room yesterday afternoon I thought about how great it would be to go sit on the beach and pray for Adam, and play with Mackenzie. It was great to be with such awesome friends that are family for us, Scott and Stacy, Jim and Pat (Scott's parents), and Irvin and Kim and there 3 beautiful and fun kids.

Jim & Pat and Scott & Stacy
Mackenzie sitting on the deck looking at God's amazing creation

Scott, Mackenzie, Katie, and Daniel looking for crab
Scott and Stacy
Mackenzie and I playing in the ocean

Thank you so much to all of you. You all have been amazing support and provided for us in so many ways. We are so blessed to have so many great friends, family, and even so many of you who have blessed us and don't even know us... thank you so much, God will repay what I cannot and I pray God blessed you all.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad you got away for a little while! -Praying for just the right place for Adam.

Debbie said...

Praying God's will be done. Also praying that you all will be surrounded by His comfort, strength, love, and grace.

Blog Archive