Monday, September 13, 2010

The Power of Encouragement

I am so excited to report that today was a good day! Thank you all for praying so hard for our family. Adam was alert for most of the day. Adam's CT scan from yesterday showed improvement from the last one! It showed that the fluid has decreased and his ventricles have decreased in size which is fantastic, totally an answer to prayer. This also proved that his lethargy is from his seizure and the medications he is on, which I am praying he will build up a tolerance for.

Today Adam had occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech therapy... was was busy and tired. We were able to get him to chew and swallow ice chips, he made quite a few vocalizations with his Passy Muir valve on. He was exhausted by the end of the day, but he was was amazing how well he did... I am so proud of him and respect him so much for how hard he continues to fight his injury. He is my hero.

The last couple of days I have been concentrating on documenting everything because Adam had been so lethargic, and I was concerned because Adam just hasn't been responding. One thing that I have tried to be consistent at is encouraging Adam everyday, but the last couple of days I was concerned and spent so much time talking with him, and praying over him that I wasn't so consistent in words of affirmation and being intentional about consistent encouragement. This morning in my prayer time I just heard the word encourage. I knew I needed to encourage him. Instantaneous Adam started responding. Every little thing today, I tried to be his cheerleader and cheer him along. He did awesome, I believe in him so much, and I am so proud of him.

I was able to see the power of encouragement today. One book I read awhile ago talks about love languages, and I know Adam's love language is words of affirmation, today proved that. Throughout our marriage I have made sure to affirm my man, it's the most incredible thing to see my man on cloud nine because of affirmation I have been able to give him.

When was the last time you......
  • Thanked your man for working so hard?
  • Told your man you thought he was an honorable man?
  • Said you respected your man for what he is doing in life?
  • Told your man he was your hero?
  • Bragged about your man to someone in his hearing?

I encourage you ladies, affirm your man... let him hear it from you how much you respect him. After all ladies, we are called to unconditionally respect our husbands, Ephesians 5:33 says "the wife must respect her husband." When I first was starting my journey of being a Godly wife I had no clue what it meant to respect my man two tools that helped me were "Love and Respect" By: Dr. Emmerson Eggerich and... I came across this 30 day Husband Encouragement Challenge for Wives... for the last 3 years I have frequently repeated this challenge. If you don't know how to begin a journey of encouraging your man or affirming him, this is a great tool to use. I really encourage all the married ladies reading this to step up and take the challenge to encourage the gift God gave you from above.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

That is so great to hear he's doing better and responding to your encouragement.

What a great word Amy! I love that you said "unconditionally respect". So often we think that it's his job to earn our respect and when we focus on that it never seems to happen. Thank you for your encouragment to wives:)

Blog Archive