Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Am Overflowing With Thankfulness

Today has been a busy day... Adam was transferred back to WakeMed Neuro Care Unit. So we said goodbye to UNC once again (and I'm praying for that it's the final time) but I will miss everyone at UNC that has been so wonderful at taking care of my man. Once we got back to WakeMed, immediately Adam was visited and assessed by doctors, therapists, nurses... he's been busy. Physical therapy (Susan) and Occupational therapy (Carolyn) got Adam dressed in normal clothes and up in his wheelchair! It was so fantastic to see him in normal clothes and sitting up in his chair, I having been rejoicing all day in Adam's progress. I have so much to be thankful for.

Once Adam was settled in I spent some time at his bedside, I pulled the chair all the way to the side of his bed (I would have laid in bed with him, but he was pretty tired from the events of the day was sleeping soundly, I didn't want to disturb him). I sat in the chair facing him just giving thanks to God for all he has done in Adam's body already. I was thanking God and praising him that Adam is still here, that he's breathing without the help of a ventilator, he's wiggling toes and fingers, his eyes open and close, he swallows, he's been holding his head up, his muscle tone is improving, he's worked himself off several harsh medications, he has survived 12 surgeries, God's healed infection in Adam's body, I am praising God that Adam has a voice and we have heard him make noises... 1 Chronicles 16:8 "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done." I am so thankful. I worship a mighty God who has made my man a mighty warrior.

Tonight when Mackenzie and I were tucking Adam in for the night, having our prayer time, and saying goodnight... all three of us were in Adam's bed and she wrote this poem...
Roots By: Mackenzie Root

"Roots hold a tree strong
A flower tall

Roots hold you strong and tall too

How, you might ask…
Our family for instance,
We are here for you, like roots for a tree
To help hold you strong and tall

Dad, I love you and I am your Root."

Oh how I am so in love with my family. God has blessed me with an incredible man and an amazing little girl. I am so thankful that God chose me to be Adam's wife and Mackenzie's mommy.

Tonight, I am choosing to be thankful, and choosing to see God's blessings... His blessings are always surrounding us even in the midst of sorrow and grief... I pray that you all will see His blessings that surround you. It's a choice, your choice how you see your circumstances, ask God to give you the eyes you need to see His blessings and choose to focus on them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mackenzie is a writer just like Mom! In just a few words, she said all Adam needs to hear. Beautiful posts, Amy & Mackenzie.
Leanne in Seattle

Anonymous said...

I see another writer coming forth in this family! What a GREAT poem Mackenzie! It's a beautiful poem of what family is!

Love, Mom & Grandma

Anonymous said...

I love your poem, Mackenzie! You, your Mom and Dad are blessings and inspirations to us all. I'm praying for you and keeping you close in heart. Our God is a miracle-working God!!

Love, Sheri Halberg
Snohomish, WA

Bev said...

MacKenzie, your poem is amazing! It speaks volumes of your unselfish love to Adam and others. Miss you.

autumn weikert said...

We praise the Lord with you. Our God is a miracle working God and worthy of all our praise. I am so glad the transition went smoothly and that Adam is so close to home. Mackenzie has always amazed me with her writing gift. The Lord will continue to use her mightily. She is a blessing to so many. May the Lord continue you strengthen you this day in all power and might by the power of the Holy Spirit. We love you and rejoice with you.

Debbie said...

Root Root!!!!!

So happy Adam is back at WakeMed. Even happier that God is so amazing and faithful!

Love you all!
Debbie

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Mackenzie's poem gave me goosebumps. I am Temarie's friend and think you have an extraordinary family. The Lord is using you Amy and I praise the Lord for another day you got to serve Jesus and your man in such a powerful way.

Carlee said...

I love your kid! Praise God for Adam's progress! May God continue to heal his body and piece him back together one by one! Praising God tonight!

Dejah said...

I echo every one else, a gifted writer and a wise girl and You are an amazing example, what a blessing you are to Mackenzie and to Adam and to all of us who keep posted as to the wonderful things God is doing--- I am so happy to hear of Adams progress, makes me want to do a happy happy dance.
and all the Healing, praise, encouragement and unshakeable faith that you reflect.You are a jewel in the crown of Our Father, he loves you and delights in you so much. You are running the good race. Thank you for always being so encouraging to me.

Blog Archive