Sunday, August 22, 2010

Recovering From Surgery # 11

This is going to be a quick update.

Psalm 118:28 “You are my God, and I will give you thanks, you are my God, and I will exalt you.”

Thank you for your prayers today, Adam’s surgery went well. The good news is they finally found the source of the infection… Since his ventricular shunt was exposed to the outside world and the incision was open it led to the cerebral spinal fluid being infected. It’s relief that the doctors finally figured out the source of infection and we can move forward with a plan of action. With this said the doctors removed all the hardware the installed on the right side of the brain. So that included the ventricular shunt and the subdural drain. When the doctors removed the shunt they were able to tell that he was starting to fail and was only going to be a matter of time before it was going to have to be replaced, so it was good that they had to go in and remove it before it caused a neurological decline. They put in an EVD again (external ventricular drain) to keep the cerebral spinal fluid draining and not accumulating. Adam will remain in ICU for a min of a week while they monitor and treat the infection. Once the infection is cured Adam will go back to the operating room to have his hardware replaced and they hopefully then we’ll be on our road to recovery again! He was heavily medicated for the procedure as well as afterward to rest to get rid of these infections. Thankfully he has been able to rest very well today and this evening.

When I was finally able to see Adam this evening it was good to see him looking so good, his coloring looks great. Adam is truly the strongest person I know. He is such a fighter, I am so proud of him. I can see how hard is continuing to fight and I know he's fighting for Mackenzie and I, he is my hero.

Please pray that Adam will be able to recover quickly and make a huge leap in progress.

No comments:

Blog Archive