Monday, August 30, 2010

Part 5 of "Our Story"

I am so excited to say that Adam has started following commands again today! He wiggled his thumb and toes on command during almost every exam today! Tonight while I was bathing him, he reached up and grabbed my arm! He held my arm for awhile... I was thinking to myself, too bad nobody just saw this to document and in walks the nurse who saw the whole thing on the monitor! She said she watched him reach up and grab my arm and hold it! Praise the Lord for my miracles today! Adam had an upset tummy for most of the day, and if you could please pray for him... I personally think it's from being on so many different kinds of antibiotics in the last 10 days. The doctors are retesting him for C-diff and I am just praying that the results come back negative. Please also pray for Adam's feet, he developed to pressure sores. The doctors do believe they caught them early enough that all they are doing right now is keeping pressure off of them and watching them closely.

After talking with Dr. Ewend today I do believe I have convinced him of putting in a programmable shunt for Adam. This is a victory because for whatever reason UNC does not like to use programmable shunts, but in Adam's case I believe it's necessary. Still, he is going to watch and monitor Adam over the next week and decide what he thinks will be best for the long run.

Another praise of the day... physical therapy and occupational therapy came by Adam's room today and sat him on the edge of the bed, and for quite a while Adam held his head up all by himself! He was working so hard on balancing and he did awesome!!! I am so proud of him!

Part 5 of "Our Story"

That first year, God continued to grow me and teach me to be Adam’s wife. I wanted to learn everything I could in regards to being a Godly wife. I am pretty sure I read every scripture that had to do with my role as a wife, marriage, and becoming a gentle and kind woman like scripture calls us women to be. This was not an easy thing for me; I had become a strong, independent, feminist… that I had lost my true femininity in the process. I was more concerned with being able to do things on my own and my way that I never learned to embrace the way God made me. To be a submissive, soft, and gentle woman doesn’t mean I can’t still be strong and independent, as long as my independence doesn’t mean being independent from God or my husband. I have found over the last couple of years, that when I embrace my femininity and the role of a wife and mother they way that God has intended those roles to be I am stronger and feel more comfortable in my skin then I have ever been before.

I spent the last 2 and half years researching, reading, studying, praying, and interviewing what I perceived to be Titus 2 women. I have gathered a lot of my research and personal notes and compiled what I call my “love notebook”. Adam has always called it my diary, but I don’t see it like that… I see a diary as a secret and this is no secret. Any time that I have come across a friend in a difficult season of their marriage, I am able to share my notebook and use it and our story to encourage them. Adam and I have faced difficult times in our marriage, though we have not been married long. God used those times to draw us closer to Him and to grow deeper in our marriage. We became students of God’s plan for marriage and I became a student of my husband.

Both Adam and I had been married before and we wanted to protect our marriage the best we could to protect us against the odds stacked up against us. Adam and I had heard a statistic that radically changed our marriage… only 1% of marriages who pray together daily, fall apart. Adam and I looked at this statistic as God’s insurance plan for our marriage. We took this very seriously and became very intentional about our time together. Every morning we would sit over a cup of coffee, have our devotion time, pray together and for each other, and talk about our day. Ever since Adam’s accident I have tried to maintain this time between us… I believe it is so incredibly important. Nothing has ever made me feel more loved by my man then when he has taken us into a time of prayer, especially if we are in a moment of intense fellowship (we don’t argue, we have intense fellowship). Nothing is more attractive than my man spiritually leading our family, that is my favorite quality.

Ladies, I challenge you to become students of your husbands. Affirm your man and compliment him… let him know how much you appreciate him. If you find this hard, start by taking your negative thoughts captive and ask God to give you a new love for your man and ask Him to let you see your husband they way God sees him. Men, I challenge you to take 5 minutes before you leave the house, find a quiet place with your wife and pray for her and over the day… this will make her feel cherished. This might be difficult and awkward at first, but surrender to Him and He will guide you. Remember our marriages are a calling from God and ministering to our spouses is vital, so live your life worthy of the calling you have received. Ephesians 4:1 &2 “I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle, be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

When I began my journey of having to take my negative thoughts captive and start from that point, I never even imagined in my wildest dream that my marriage would or could ever be anything better than what Hollywood shows, but when I let the Holy Word show me how my marriage could be and I allowed God to guide me into my role as a Godly wife… never in my wildest dream could I ever dream marriage could be as wonderful as I have been able to experience it to be. God has given me a new love for my man every day, He has allowed me to see bits and pieces of my husband through His eyes. He has guided me with His Word and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for us, the best is yet to be.

I want to leave you with this… every once in a while Adam would leave notes for me to find (I have kept every single one of them). The one I want to share with you tonight only had this scripture on it… My beloved… “How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride. How much more pleasing is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice.” Song of Solomon 4:10.

I love my man more with every passing moment and I am so thankful and grateful that we are enduring this difficult season in our life without any regrets. I am so blessed to have a man who loves his Savior, who continued to draw close to Him and in return allowed us to grow deeper in a more intimate, passionate love than I ever knew was possible. Adam I love you with all my heart, always and forever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Reading your postings and updates, I find myself ... really, there are no words. Your strength astounds me. In this season, you continue to perservere as a mother, wife, and most importantly, a daughter of the most High! Rarely am I able to get through reading without beginning to well up. No tears of sadness, but true tears of joy and love. How amazing it is to hear how much your heart grows despite these circumstances! I know you have days that are less than desireable, but you continue to worship and serve. He is truely doing a great work in you. As a single mother, you have already ministered to me in so many ways. I hope to be married one day and take what I have learned about the Lord's plan for marriage from your postings. Your love and support for Adam not only demonstrates a model of a Godly wife, but also the sacrifice of service Jesus made for all. You are sowing great seeds on fertile ground. Abba Father wants you to know there are a lifetime of blessings in store. Your marriage and your ministry will continue to affect the thousands and the hundred thousands.

I speak blessings for you and Adam! I pray in God's will there be great healing ahead. I speak opportunities for evangelism and soul saving for the medical staff. I ask in Jesus name that Adam continue to let you know he is aware of your presence daily, but sharing intimate moments of love with you--a touch, a smile, a word. I speak increase in blessings for people to come along side of you for support. You are an amazing woman of God! A princess and a warrior! Praise His Holy Name! In Jesus name--AMEN!

love ... love ... love ... love ...

Rachel said...

Totally agree! I remeber when Brandon started to pray for me each day - it change everything!

Creative Team said...

Amy, It's wonderful to read your words. God has prepared you for a time such as this. Thank you for encouraging husbands and wives with your words. I love reflecting back on the time that I spent with you and Debbie sharing our journeys as wives. Some day I hope I get another chance to sit with you and talk about how God has grown us as wives. Love you and Praying for you, Adam, and Mackenzie. Marcia

Anonymous said...

Amy,
It is amazing how inspirational your posts are. You are so amazing and so strong. I look up to you as a role model on how to be a wife. You are so real and so passionate about all that is important to you. As the first person that commented on this post said,I well up when I read your posts, not in sadness. I take on your challenge to become the best wife that I can be. I have grown so much as a person with your help since the day that I met you. Lots of love from my family to yours!

Tivian

pashastub said...

Amy can I have your address so that I can send some post cards from NM? thanks Toni MacCready friend of Charlotte and Wilma Metz

Blog Archive