Thursday, August 26, 2010

Part 3 of Our Story

Another long post...

Adam update... This morning when I got to Adam's room, the nurse and the occupational therapist were working with Adam and he was not happy about it. He was extremely tense, his heart rate was up, and his blood pressure was elevated. When I walked in and said good morning and saw his vitals on the monitor I walked over to his bed and got in his face and started to talk to him. He relaxed almost instantly, his heart rate came down, and his blood pressure returned to a normal zone... I was so honored that he knew I was there to comfort him and take care of him. The therapist and nurse noted and documented Adam's response to me... praise the Lord for such a wonderful gift, with today being our anniversary, I was touched to see such a response shared, but also documented.

Adam was a popular guy today... he had physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, infectious disease team, the neurologist team, and the neurosurgical team all round on him today... not to mention the moment by moment nursing care, he was busy. The infectious disease team have been keeping a close eye on Adam's CSF infection and drawing blood cultures to make sure the e-coli bacteria is responding to treatment. One 2 of the cultures they drew from Adam's PICC line came back positive for infection. So the infectious disease team decided it would be best to remove his PICC line... argh. Adam's veins are so week and collapse easily and having the PICC line in was so nice because they weren't having to change out his IV every 4 days and poke him over and over again just to try and draw blood. The doctor did say once they clear the infection and identify it they will replace the PICC line, but until then they had to put in an IV so that he can continue to get his IV antibiotics, and they will just have to stick him every time they need blood.

So please pray for Adam, he hates being poked and stuck so many times... pray also for anyone who has to draw blood from him, pray that they will be able to get it with the first try. Please continue to pray for Adam's spirit, that he will continue to keep fighting so hard. He is amazing and so strong, I am praying that God will continue to give him the strength that Adam needs moment by moment.

Tonight while dining on UNC's finest (cafeteria food), Mackenzie and I reflected on our year. Adam and I for the last 2 years included Mackenzie in our anniversary celebrations. After all we are celebrating that God joined the 3 of us together as a family. We spent the whole afternoon and evening together as a family, just the 3 of us... I loved it. Today was a weepy day for me, I am just missing Adam so much, some days the pain is so intense it feels like it could be the end of me. Please do not worry, in these moments, my joy and hope are not gone at all... just the sorrow and pain are so real. Oh how my heart aches and longs to have my man next to me. I miss him so much. With today being such a special day, it was just a little more difficult... praise God that His mercy is new every morning, and that we can start fresh every day.

Part 3 of "Our Story"

We decided early on that we were going to have a very short engagement. So 3 months after Adam proposed we were married. We were married at Heceta Head Lighthouse on the coast in Oregon. They had turned the innkeeper’s house into a bed and breakfast and we rented it out for the night so that we could enjoy the company of our family and celebrate with them. We had a very private ceremony, only our parents and siblings, and our closest friends were there to celebrate... it was perfect. It was so small and intimate we truly enjoyed the company of everyone there... so many wonderful memories.

Throughout this journey I have recited and read our vows to Adam. I would like to share a little from our ceremony as well as our wedding vows...

"I charge you both to always put your spouse before yourself. For husbands and wives who realize that God has joined them into a single entity will not foolishly try to hurt each other; they know they would only be hurting themselves. Each partner remember to express genuine love and understanding to the other, for one's mate is really part of one's own self. Always remember, a great marriage is when husband and wife walk through life together, trying to out bless one another."

"What you promise today must be renewed and redecided tomorrow. At the end of this ceremony, you will legally be husband and wife, but I challenge you to decide each day that stretches out before you, that you want to be married."

"I Amy, offer myself completely to you Adam, to be your wife in marriage. I promise to love you, honor you, and cherish you; to be faithful and true; to be kind and forgiving, and to be unselfish in this love. I promise to stand besides you always... in times of joy and in times of sorrow. I dedicate our marriage and home to the Lord Jesus. I pledge myself and all that I am to you and you alone. With this ring, I commit all my love to you. As I love the Lord, so do I love you. I receive you as God's gift to me. As God empowers me, I will seek to follow your leadership and support you in every challenge that life may bring. All that is mine is yours, until death and death alone shall part us."

I want to challenge all those who are married, when was the last time you thought about your vows? Or even recited them to your spouse? I challege all the wives... I kept a copy of my vows in a journal and pulled them out regularly before the accident as a way to evaluate myself as Adam's wife, I oftened read them and asked myself if I was upholding my vows... I challenge you to do the same. If you find yourself failing (which many times I do) pray and ask God to make you the wife for your husband that God had in mind when he created your husband. He will. Walk in His ways, He has already set forth the path.

This scripture was read at our wedding, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 "Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble. And on a cold night, two under the same blanket can gain warmth from each other. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer."


This is Heceta Head Lighthouse an awesome place to get married!


Our first family photo



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most beautiful outdoor setting! It was an amazing day! I love you all.

Love, Mom

Vicky Scott said...

Amy,
You were a beautiful bride and you are a beautiful woman inside and out. Thank you for taking the time to share with so many of us "your story." You are writing a new story now, and changing the hearts and minds of people you will never meet until Heaven.
We continue to pray and lift you, Adam, and Mckenzie in our daily emails.
VScott

Jewel said...

Happy anniversary Amy. You were a beautiful bride and you're a beautiful wife. Thank you for being such an awesome example:) I'm praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. As one who has been praying since the accident but does not know either of you, I appreciated the background. May God continue to give you the strength you need for each new day!
Debbie Whorley

Blog Archive