Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Our Story Part 1

Warning, long post tonight.

Adam had a ticklish kind of day... this made me laugh so hard... while I was bathing him today, I was scrubbing his stinky feet real good and he kept pulling his foot away and trying to move away from me trying to scrub and I do mean scrub his feet. I would barely touch his foot and he started to pull it away... it was so funny. He used to have a negative reflex in his foot when he was being tickled it was called the Babinski's reflex, but today he actually had a normal reflex... God is healing Adam!

Adam's inter-cranial pressure (ICP) today was high (inter-cranial pressure is a result of fluid build up on his brain). The external ventricular drain (EVD) is helping to drain the fluid. The drain has different levels, the lower the level the more it drains and also shows Adam's brain is having a hard time absorbing his on fluid and continuing to show signs of damage. The higher the level the more Adam's brain is doing the work on it's own. So since his ICP was high the doctor ordered another CT scan. His CT scan showed no difference from the one done on Saturday, still shows a good amount of fluid sitting up there. The doctors said this is a reaction from his infection and his fluid will start to decrease once the infection clears. The doctors also found out that the strain of bacteria that was found in his cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) was e-coli. The doctors have already begun the proper antibiotics for Adam. Everyday he's looking better. Today Adam was a lot more alert than the last couple of days. Physical therapy even got him up in a special chair called a cardiac chair and he sat up for a couple of hours. So he's doing great!

Since our anniversary is coming up on Thursday I thought I would tell you all "The Story of Us". Adam and I met 4 years ago, this is horrible, and I can't believe I am admitting this... but I don't remember our first meeting. Adam and I met while working at Microsoft together... and he remembers meeting me the day he interviewed, I have no recollection of this meeting.

I do however remember his first day at Microsoft, he stuck out like a sore thumb. Microsoft has a wonderful laid back dress code, extremely casual... and in walks Adam in pin stripe slacks and a long sleeve button down shirt in the middle of summer. I remember thinking... "newbie". I teased him relentlessly that first week because he dressed up everyday, he would give me a smile (the Adam full grin smile) and not really know what to say back. After his first week on the job, I didn't see him for another month or so. It was this time that I remember Adam taking my breath away. We ran into each other in the hall and I saw that he had figured out the more casual dress code and asked him how he was adjusting. We talked for several minutes and I can still remember how incredibly handsome he was on that day. (My man still takes my breath away with his handsome good looks)

A couple weeks went by and we continued to run into each other and would always chat, we discovered we had a lot in common. We started taking walks together at lunch to get to know each other more. I was working long hours on a project and we would always bring by an apple or orange for me to keep going. He is so incedibly thoughtful. When Adam has his mind made up on something he has a hard time taking "no" for an answer. He tried for months to ask me out for dinner, but I politely declined each time.

At the time I was a single mom and I had just gave my life to Christ 14 months before I met Adam. I was trying to figure out how to life my life for my Savior on top of keeping up with a 6 year old and working full time... it was not easy. Adding a dating life to the mix seemed complicating, especially because if I was ever going to date again I was going to do it God's way (meaning no physical relationship before marriage). Adam was so persistent in asking me out and one day he caught me when I was too tired to politely say no again. Agreeing to have dinner with him was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

On the way to meet Adam, I prayed the whole way that God would close the door right away on this friendship if it was not going to be glorifying to Him. That first date was unforgettable, not because we did anything special, but because our conversation and time together was so amazing and comfortable. We were talking about our pasts and not always making right decisions in relationships and before ever having to say anything, Adam mentioned he wanted a different kind of relationship than he has had in the past. Adam let me know that if we were going to date, that he didn't want a physical relationship. I remember thinking, is this guy for real?!!! That night on my way home, I called my mom and told her I met the man I'm going to marry. I pretty sure she didn't believe me. That first date was so special being able to talk openly and freely and to have found that we really had so much in common and most importantly a common faith.

Song of Solomon 5:14 "This is my beloved and this is my friend"

Part 2 is coming tomorrow.

This picture was taken from one of our firsts dates.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Jesus as the match maker stories are always the best!

Mary Strynar said...

I'm so weepy! I love you guys. It's just so romantic. My Mom says, "Amy, Mary just read your blog. I got to give you an awful lot of credit. Your love of Jesus shows through time and time again. And I feel I can thank God for Adam and you. And I know that God is going to see it through."

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story! I can't wait to hear part 2. I was at school today meeting with another mom to plan after school clubs and I saw Mackenzie with her class leaving the cafeteria. She looked very happy to me, and was smiling and talking. Just thought you might want to know ;) (wink)

Karie Garner said...

That is so sweet! I can't wait to read part 2. I saw Mackenzie at school today. I was meeting another mom to talk about After School Clubs and I saw her leaving the cafeteria with her class. She looked very happy and was smiling and talking. Just thought you would want to know!

Blog Archive