Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Day of Fifth Grade and Part 2 of Our Story

Extra long post today, but at least there's pictures!

Today Adam has been the most alert I have seen him in days. This morning when the doctors rounded Adam slightly moved his big left toe on command twice! I was so ecstatic! If he responds to command tomorrow as well then they will count it as him responding to command, so please pray that Adam will respond tomorrow as well. The doctor put in an order today to lower Adam’s amount of oxygen he is receiving… he was receiving 60% and he has been weaned down to 28% so he is making good progress and his pneumonia is improving! I was able to do all of Adam’s routine care for him today, any time I can do his care it makes me really feel like I am a part of the team. I like to tell all the nurses and doctors that I need to be included in their teams because I was apart of Adam’s team before any of them.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. ~Henry Ford

Its official I will be finding out this year if I am truly smarter than a 5th grader. I asked Mackenzie, when did this happen… when did she grow up to be a 5th grader, she said when I grew up to be old enough to be 30… touché. This morning was a difficult morning, I was really overwhelmed by all that needed to get done for Mackenzie at school and it was the first time I had seen some wonderfully familiar faces in a long time. It was just too much this morning. As I was a wreck, Mackenzie was all smiles and loving the fact that she was on safety patrol and was given the privilege to walk the kindergartners to their classrooms. With the help of many wonderful staff members and friends at Apex Elementary Mackenzie had a successful first day of school!

Mackenzie starting 5th grade today!
She's growing up so quickly

Part 2 of "Our Story"

I left off from yesterday at the end of our first day. Adam and I prayed and talked about the direction we wanted to take our friendship. For me, being a single mom did not allow me to date just to date, nor did I want to. I truly wanted to experience God’s best. By this time Adam and I had both come to realize that God brought us together of a reason and a purpose, and we knew it would be long term. Adam and I decided we would court, rather than date. Courting for us just meant that we were dating with the intent of marriage.

During our courtship we enjoyed doing so many things together. Adam is extremely talented and creative when it comes to building and creating things. He decided he wanted to paint the entire inside of his house, do all his own trim work and crown molding, remodel a bathroom, texture the ceiling… and probably more than I can remember. He taught me how to do so much and I worked along side of him, we would spend our days off working around the house and then making dinner together. Adam and I both really enjoy cooking. Being next to each other working together is something we have always enjoyed and continue to enjoy. I am sure he knows that while he is working to get better, I am working at his bedside doing most of his care to aide him in getting better.

Adam had prepared Mackenzie and included her in our engagement. Without me knowing, he took her ring shopping and gave her a special job for a special day. Nine months after we started dating we were on our way home to Seattle from a weekend down at his parents’ house in Oregon and Adam decided to take a detour and road trip. I love day trips and scenic routes; this is something that Adam has grown to love throughout our years together. Anyway, we decided to drive along the coast on our way home. We had stopped and grabbed beach toys and every time we stopped that day we got a magnet to remind us of the day. So many wonderful memories from this day, I remember laughing so much and so hard this day. Along our journey we came to a covered bridge that was so cool, after driving through it we had to stop for pictures, then we moved along to a beach town in Washington called Long Beach. We were able to drive right out onto the beach and so with our 2 dogs and Mackenzie we played for hours. Mackenzie and I were working on a sand village when out of the blue Adam came over and grabbed my hand and stood me up, I thought he was just going to give me a sweet kiss, but instead he pulled out a ring and asked me to be his wife. I know I have said this many times, but I am truly honored and cherished that he chose me. I love my man.

Genesis 2:18-24
The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

The covered bridge we came across
Mackenzie was our personal photographer, Adam had already told her about our special day and asked that she take pictures.


Long Beach, WA

My man professing his love for me

1 comment:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

I am Temarie's friend and she has told me all about you. You are an extraordinary woman and I am so inspired by your love for your husband, daughter and Jesus. I am lifting you all up to the Great Physician and the God of All Comfort.

Blog Archive