Saturday, August 21, 2010

Another Trip To ICU at UNC

Yes, you read that correctly... Adam is back in the ICU at UNC. He was transferred back this evening after a CT scan this morning that didn't show great results. Adam had a rough morning, he was storming and still not feeling well from his pneumonia so the 4 teams of doctors decided to try several things to try to locate an infection other than the pneumonia.

One thing they ordered was a CT scan. His results came back right away, which in the medical world when they are letting you know results instantly I have learned it's usually not the greatest news. Adam's CT scan came with good and bad news. Good news, his fluid collection on the left side of his brain has decreased! Bad news is his ventricles in his brain have increased, which causes hydrocephalus or to make it simple, fluid on the brain. To play it safe and get a better look at they set us to UNC.

When we arrived the neurosurgery team evaluated Adam and did a tap of the shunt. The shunt was placed in Adam's brain to help regulate fluid and doing a tap means they are taking fluid out from that area to run tests on it. More specifically to see if the source of infection is coming from his CSF (cerebral spinal fluid). When the doctor when to clean the area to do the shunt a scab fell off from his incision line and showed that the shunt which is suppose to fully be enclosed is actually not and is protruding out. When she finally got the tap done, his CSF was looking a little cloudy and most likely showing the source of infection.

All this to say Adam is heading back to the operating room first thing tomorrow morning. Please pray for Adam and the teams of doctors that are treating him.

A huge blessing from the day, when the UNC ambulance team came to pick up Adam from WakeMed, they sent a specialized critical care team to ensure Adam the best care in the transfer since he hasn't been feeling good. When the team walked in a lady walked right up and introduced herself, Deann... she went on to say that she was on the life support chopper team that airlifted Adam from the track to UNC the day of his accident. What a blessing it was to thank her in person for all the hard work they did in keeping my man alive and here with me. Thank you just didn't seem like enough to say. I was able to hug her to say thank you, share a tear with her as we remember that grave day 3 months ago, and rejoice with her in how far Adam has come! God is so good!

This morning I was fascinated by the word faith and the definition. This was before I even knew what my day was looking like. Faith according to my Bible, means total reliance, complete trust in God. I went on from there reading about faith. I felt like my time in the word was a huddle time between me and God, preparing me for today and asking me if I was going to totally rely on Him, because remember when God is in control there are no steps backwards. This is the scripture verse God gave me this morning in our huddle time. 2 Chronicles 20:20 "Have faith in the Lord your God, and you will be upheld." POWERFUL. Let me tell you, I am being upheld, because my God... He is enough for me. He continues to sustain Adam and I both moment by moment. He is so awesome in power.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Amy, when I read this verse, I immediately thought of you and your blog. As the wall in Adam's room demonstrates, you are truly touching the lives of many throughout the world. Romans 1:8 "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world."

And this one made me think of Adam,and the plans we pray God has in mind for him. Acts 3:16 "And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all."

Praying for you always,

Rebecca

Blog Archive