Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A New Normal

Adam, Mackenzie, and I are beginning our new normal. With all the family trickling out, our new normal begins. This evening we said our goodbye to Adam's mom Cookie who will be driving home to Oregon tomorrow morning. Adam's aunt Kimberley flew out here to drive back with her. So tonight we had dinner and said our "until next time". It was good to spend some time with them before their long journey. Please pray for a safe trip and wonderful memories to be had.

It's sad and somewhat hard to say goodbye, but it's a good feeling to be taking the next step in our journey. While every one's lives have been altered, and I am not discounting that at all... it's hard to watch those who have visited go home and go back to their normal lives. Our new normal is filled with so much joy, excitement, and love, it's also filled with moments of sorrow and extreme pain. I come home to a house where all our family memories are, a bed that I shared with Adam, constant reminders of what our life looked like 2 and half months ago. This is hard and sometimes the most difficult part of my day is coming home. I have decided with our new normal beginning, I will be sleeping in our bed tonight for the first time since before Adam's accident. So cheers to our new normal... I can't wait to see what God has in store for us!

Today has been a day where I am feeling so filled my the spirit. I have been able to see God and feel His presence all around. I have been processing what my new normal is going to look like and I was reminded by a whisper in my ear, "don't worry about it, remember I am in control". It was so good to hear the whisper and feel peace knowing that He has all of us in His hands. He is carrying us through and will continue to hold us, and piece us all back together again. How wonderful and comforting it is to be reminded, by my Lord himself that He is taking care of everything and then on top of it to be washed with peace. Our God is awesome. I love my sweet Jesus. My prayer is that I can keep my mind on Him and continue to trust Him to guide each and every step. Isaiah 26:3 "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."

Adam had a lot of storming today. Several times throughout the day his blood pressure sky rocketed, his heart rate was out of control, his fever came back and again he had to lay on ice. He was able to get up and into his wheelchair for more than 20 minutes today (he has been averaging 2 hours), so overall I could just tell he felt icky all day. One moment that I thought was neat... You know when you hold something for a toddler or young child to smell and instead of taking a deep breath and inhale, they will do several short exhales (if you don't have any clue what I am talking about, I'm sorry) anyway today the speech therapist was working with Adam and she was trying to get him to smell different scents. Instead of inhaling he did several short exhales (but they were strong) which was quite funny because it sent garlic powder flying and the same when he smelt the coffee grounds. He also moved his mouth quite a bit while trying to smell.

Tonight when I left Adam, he was looking like he was resting comfortably and looked so peaceful. Please pray that he will sleep well tonight and pray for no storms. One praise is that Adam has been on a normal sleeping pattern. For brain injured patients usually their sleep pattern gets all out of sorts and then they are sleepy during the day and wide awake at night. This does not make for good therapy sessions... the awesome praise for Adam is that he has been sleeping consistently about 6 or 7 hours at night which is so great. Please pray for rest tonight and for his sleeping pattern to remain healthy.

Thanks for all your faithful prayers. It's time for me to climb into our bed... I am missing Adam so much. I love my man.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Covering you in prayer tonight Amy.

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed,
for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. ~Isaiah 41:10

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. ~Matthew 11:28

Jewel said...

Last night I went to bed and just laid there wide awake, so I spent the time praying for you and Adam:) I can't imagine how hard the things you described would be, but again and again I'm amazed at the Lord's strength coming through you.

B. Root said...

Amy, I am so amazed at your strength, fortitude and faith. Thank God Adam has you for his wife. Thank you for being so devoted to him. You, Adam, and Mackenzie are in my prayers.

Love,

Aunt Bev

Blog Archive