Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yesterday's Events and Today's Blessings

Okay, here are the events of yesterday that landed us back in ICU at UNC and back into surgery...

So, you have read that over the last several days that I have been worried about Adam's swelling. On Friday I noticed a decline in Adam's alertness and was concerned because I began to see an increase in swelling, so I talked with Adam's doctor and he ordered a CT. CT showed no bleeding so he was happy. By Saturday his left side of the brain where he has no skull was completely swelling out the side of his head. Sunday I asked the doctor to come and look at Adam, when he did he decided he needed to compare Friday's CT to one that he had done at UNC. All day Monday we waited for UNC to cal and they never did. Yesterday (Tuesday) morning when I got to the hospital the doctor was on the phone with UNC and that's when they noticed a new fluid collection on Adam's right side of his brain. The Neurosurgeons at UNC decided it was in Adam's best interest to come back to UNC so that they could take a closer look, monitor Adam and come up with a plan of action.

While all of this was going on Adam was scheduled for a endoscopy at WakeMed because he has had so many issues with his G-Tube and they were trying to figure out why. When the anesthesiologist came to look at Adam for the endoscopy he said he would not do the surgery because Adam was too unstable. At this point Adam's G Tube was bleeding and pulling up blood and blood clots. This all got put on hold because Adam's brain swelling was a larger issue.

I was able to ride in the ambulance with Adam, and when we arrived he was taken into CT right away. The attending doctor took me to his office and showed me Adam's CT scans, the one from Friday a previous one from 8 days before that and the new one. Adam had a significant amount of fluid collecting on his right side and still increasing on the right. There is also a membrane that has developed around the fluid on the left side. The doctor told me that none of these symptoms seem to be related and none of them see to have any rhyme or reason. The doctor said he has no idea right now what is going on with Adam, he said to me Adam has been one big puzzle since his initial arrival (I think this is evidence that God is working on Adam).

An hour after arriving Adam was in surgery to externalize his VP shunt so they could see how much fluid he is draining. The doctors are concerned that Adam is draining too much fluid, but the only way to tell is monitoring his drainage is to externalize it and watch it. So that is where we are. No matter what they decide about his drainage because they externalized his shunt this commits us to at minium 2 more operations. Right now I am at Adam's side and he seems to be resting peacefully.

I am waiting for the critical care team doctors to come by and figure out what they are going to do about his G-Tube. We are possibly looking at another surgery today for them to fix what's going on there. Right now he is on IV fluids and they are pushing his medications through via IV so he's not using his G-Tube... so once again we are waiting for answers.

Being able to give thanks and focusing on what I am thankful for has continued to help get me through this time. I know I have mentioned this verse before, this helps me to focus on what I am thankful for rather than just begging God to heal Adam...
Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Today I am thankful that I know Adam well enough to know something wasn't right and that I was able to be his voice when he can't. I am thankful that Adam received the medical attention he needed in a timely manner. I am so thankful for the nurses and doctors here in ICU that we already have working relationships. I am thankful that he is in good hands here. I am thankful that Adam has been opening his eyes this morning. I am thankful he is resting. I am thankful that I have had so many people praying. I am thankful for those who have been walking this journey with me, both by my side and those who are in prayer for us. I am thankful that I know Adam's faith is strong. I am thankful for the faimly God has blessed me with. I am thankful for those who have had Mackenzie and loved on her when I haven't been able to. I am thankful that my God is so big and mighty to heal. I am thankful that my God overcame death for me. I am thankful for Adam and the blessing he is to me everyday. I am thankful.

8 comments:

Kevin Deming said...

We are praying for you, Adam, your family, his family, and the doctors. My boys are praying and asking about you guys every night.

Grace & Peace,

Kevin, Becca, David & Micah

Karie Garner said...

I am continually amazed at your faith and strength. The post about God's sovereignty is the best thing I've read yet. I'm going to cut and paste it and print it out and save it. You are an amazing woman and such an inspiration to everybody. Nobody will come away unchanged after following you in this journey. I pray daily for your family and for complete healing for Adam here on earth. You continue to be an inspiration to me and I'm thankful for you and your example to so many who know you.

Karie

Vicky Scott said...

Amy,
I want you to know that we are praying for you every step of the way, and so are people all over the world, including a family whose son had an accident very similar to Adam's. Having been where you are, we learned to live in the moment because as you know, things can change in an instant. You are doing a wonderful job, your priorities are where they should be, and your attitude is Christ like. There is so much I would love to write to you, but then again, I know you must live it yourself. Just know if ever you want to email or talk, do not hesitate to write. I leave two of the many Scriptures that helped me. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Matthew 6:35-30 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

Love in our Lord,
Vicky Scott

Anonymous said...

Amy,
The strength of The Lord is shining through you, He is a light unto your path, He is your refuge and your strong tower Praise the Lord. I am praying for the doctors to have clarity and knowledge about what is going on with Adams swelling and his GI tube.

I am praying that there would be more miraculous touches from the Holy Spirit and the swelling would leave and Adam would be fully restored, that His brain would begin to function just as it did before the accident.

That the only confusion the doctors would have would be do to the healing hand of the LORD.

That the mountains would be moved and any thing that is not by the hand of God would be removed completely from this situation. That it would only be that which is from Him (our Lord) that would be allowed and every thing else would be canceled and not allowed.

I thank you Father God for all that you are doing and all that you have done and all that you are going to do.

I thank you for your plans for Adam and Amy- for your hand upon them and your covering. For Jesus who died so that we can all live, I thank you for your healing and that you are such a good Father, that there is none like you, You love them so much and in your hands they are safe and secure.

I pray for a continuous filling up for Adam and Amy that your presence would be so heavy in them and upon them it would be spilling out onto all who come near, your shalom peace and the Hope that is found in you.

Thank you for them, thank you for blessing so many through them and now I pray that your abundant blessing would pour out all over them, more of you Lord. All to the Glory of God, In Jesus Name- Amen

Anonymous said...

We have and are praying...for you, for Adam, for Mackenzie, for the family, for the doctors, for all staff, for involved in Adam's care and anyone who enters his room. God is sovereign. He is in control. You know that. Your faith is amazing. Keep pressing in. Keep devouring the Word. Keep singing His praises. He is all you and Adam need. He is the great physician. I agree with you about the doctor's confusion because he cannot possibly understand the ways of our Lord. It does not make sense to us. We want Adam healed now - immediately and fully. We do not know the plans he has for Adam, or you or anyone else being touched by this situation. And the number of people being touched is phenomenal. You are an inspiration. Your witness, you testimony, your love for Adam and for the Lord are shining brilliantly through every post, every prayer request. Take heart that you are not alone. Adam is not alone. There are legions of prayer warriors going into battle every day. James 5:5. I love the Message version also - ..."the prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with." The Root's are people who live right with God. We are so thankful you are in our lives. You have touched us deeply. We wait in anticipation to see how God uses this season to touch hearts and change lives. Josh 1:9 (continue to)Be strong and courageous. With much love and prayers, The Hoopers

FROM MARRIAGE TO MOTHERHOOD said...

Amy,

What a mighty God we serve. You responded to the voice of the Holy Spirit when you felt unsettled about Adam's slight decline, and as a result of your nudging, the Doctors responded accordingly. You are connected to your husband spiritually, emotionally and physically - to feel in your spirit what you did only affirms it! You are so strong Amy. I know that at times it has to be so hard but continue to rest in Him and He will renew your strength. Your husband is a fighter - and so are you Amy.

((Hugs from Atlanta))

Anonymous said...

Me and mine are praying for Adam, and have been following this incredible story through Bev Davis Root. We have been good friends with the Roots for many years, and can only say that Amy your strength is an inspiration for what I may someday be capable of. Your personal journey has truly changed my life. Peace be with you.

Laura and Walter said...

Amy,
I don't know you or Adam personally but have come to know you all through your blog by way of Burnie and Tina Little and their son Lucas who is at UNC.

I am lifting you all up in prayer for wisdom for the doctors and medical team, and for continued strength for you as you journey in this trial. Praying for God to place his healing touch upon Adam.


Your faith is awe-inspiring...thanks for sharing it with us.

Blog Archive