Saturday, June 26, 2010

Refiners Fire

God is so faithful and He is moving...

Adam's chest xray came back clear this morning, NO PNEUMONIA!!!! Praise the Lord. Isn't God so good?!!! Adam had another CT scan this morning and we are still awaiting the results to be read. Please pray that the CT shows improvement, if it shows no change the doctors are not sure how they are going to proceed, if the CT results come back worse this means they will remove his bone flap again... if there is improvement then we will be moving forward in this journey. Please pray for improvement, I really don't want Adam to go through another operation. I plead with you, please don't loose momentum, please keep praying for Adam's full recovery... please.

In my quiet time I have been studying the different ways that God grows us and stretches us. I have been studying the references that we are the branches and He is the vine, Jars of Clay, and the refinement process. I want to share what God has been teaching me in each of these studies, tonight I want to start with the refinement process.

1 Peter 1:6-9 "In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

As hard as this trial has been and continues to be every moment... if the result continues to be a stronger faith, a passionate love for my Savior, a test of trust that produces growth beyond imagination... then I can continue to allow God to refine me. I mentioned in an earlier post that I know God is refining Adam and I, completely different but both of us are going through an amazing season of refinement... God please continue to walk with us through fire, burn off all impurities so that we can grow closer to you and become more like you. Hold our hands through this, let us know that you are doing a work in us... use us as vessels so that you can continue to be glorified through this trial. Thank you for being my very present help in my time of need. I love you. In your name I pray, Amen.

Below is a story that I came across while I was researching the refinement process. I just loved this visual of God's love for us.

Malachi 3:3 "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness"

There was a group of women in a Bible study on the book of Malachi. As they were studying Chapter 3, they came across verse three, which says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study.

That week this woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest in silver beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot then she thought again about the verse, that He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined.

The man answered "yes," he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled at her and answered; "Oh that's easy. When I see my image in it.

"If today you are feeling the heat of this world's fire, just remember that God has His eyes on you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm here catching up on your last few blog entries once again, Amy. Please know that my prayers continue even when I'm not logging on and reading each day's news.

Praise God for no pneumonia!!!

When He is through refining us we will be like pure gold..."reflecting His image." Our glorious hope is in Him alone!

God's peace and rest for you tonight Amy.

Hugs, Colette

Anonymous said...

What a comfort that brings as He refines us He never takes His eye off of us! So blessed. I love you ALL!

Mom

I'm so glad Brooke is there with you and Mackenzie!

Hillary said...

Wow! What a cool story. May we all be refined like silver if that's what it's all about.

So thankful for the absence of pneumonia. Still praying...

jerrie said...

Still checking in on the blog and praying. We will not give up.

Mary said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! I have said all along that you are "a woman after God's own heart". I want to find a silversmith to verify that story because it is too awesome. Sweet One I so see our Father in you.

autumn weikert said...

Praise the Lord for the report of being free of pneumonia. I declare Adam is strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. May the resurrection life of the Lord Jesus Christ flow through every part of his body. We stand and cry out before Jehovah our Healer for Adam without ceasing. Amy, may your face be like flint before the Lord. He is your Redeemer, Sustainer, Refiner and Savior. None of us would choose the refiner's fire but the Lord is taking you to a depth that very few are ever willing to go. You are surrendered and obedient. How precious you are in the Lord's eyes. The Word states in James, "Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." His promises are yes and Amen. We love you and are doing spiritual warfare. God is being glorified and will continue to be glorified through you and Adam.

Autumn

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy ~

I go to your mom's church in Snohomish; you are on our prayer chain and I have been following your blog. You are an awesome, inspirational woman of God!! I am praying constantly for you and Adam ... may the Lord strengthen and guide you ... and do a miraculous healing for Adam!

Lovingly,
Sheri Halberg

Blog Archive