Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day Adam

Today has been a tough day. Adam has had a not so good, ICU kind of day.

I will start with Adam... He has been, what the doctors call "neuro storming" all day. Neurological storms are common in traumatic brain injury patients (TBI). It affects the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS is responsible for initiating the "fight or flight" response, and that we have seen in Adam. He has been tachycardic (high heart rate) and hypertensive (high blood pressure), he has been profusely sweating, his pupils have been dilated, and he has become completely lethargic, not responding at all. Like I said, a typical ICU kind of day. He's been given medication and yet he still seems so uncomfortable. He is miserable, I can feel it. It breaks my heart to be sitting next to him knowing how much pain I can see him in, knowing now uncomfortable he is, feeling completely helpless because there is nothing I can do... my heart hurts.

As far as the rest of the day... well... it's been hard. Today is Father's Day and all I have been able to think about is what an amazing dad Adam is. Adam chose to be a dad, he didn't have to choose us, but he did, he chose us with all his heart... and he hasn't taken that responsibility lightly, he has taken it whole heartily. I respect Adam so much for stepping up and accepting the sacrifice and challenge of raising a child... not just raising a child, but training her to be a child after God's heart. Adam is an amazing father, I have been blessed enough to spend hours praying with him and hearing his heart cry out to God asking for wisdom in parenting, and help in raising a little girl, our little girl. God has answered Adam's prayers and truly gave him a father's heart. Seeing Adam love Mackenzie unconditionally and with every fiber of his being, is the best gift I have ever been given, my heart melts every time I see those two together. Happy Father's Day Adam, you are one incredible dad... I love you so much.

Proverbs 14:26 "He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge." Thank you Adam for fearing the Lord, and providing such wonderful security. We love you.

4 comments:

Kandy Eubanks said...

Hello Amy,
My friend sent me your blog a couple of weeks ago and I have been following it ever since. I to have a loved one that went thru alot of the same issues that Adam is going thru right now. My son Justin 3yrs ago at the age of 17 had a motocross accident. He also had these neuro storms.I so know what Adam and you are going thru right now and my heart and prayers go out to you.I would love to be able to give you a listening ear and maybe give you some answers to questions that you may have from someone that has been in your shoes. The Lord also was and is my rock. Hold on to him. Do they vent Adam thru his G-Tube? That was a big problem of Justins. Justin to had wonderful Dr.s but please follow your heart and your instincts.You know Adam best.God Bless. Kandy 805-643-9056

Shannon Annas said...

Amy,
My family and I thought about you so much yesterday. We are in constant prayer for you, Mackenzie and Adam, but knew that yesterday would be hard, and so had you on our minds and in our prayers the entire day. I am so sorry that Adam seems to be hurting. I can only imagine that helpless feeling you must have. Please know we are continuing to pray, and believing in miracles. Your TCC family loves you, and wants to help. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. I have 3 children myself, I am sure Mackenzie would fit right in if you ever need us to set up some "playtime". Continue to stay in the word and know Christ is your rock.

Hugs,
Shannon

Amy and Jason said...

Hi Amy. You don't know me, but I am a friend of Leanne Hopkins. She shared your blog with me a few weeks ago because it was so encouraging to her. I have been following along ever since, and praying for you, Adam, and Mackenzie. I am a Christian, and also a speech therapist who worked on rehab for 8 years. I have walked alongside many families in situations similar to yours, and can tell you that the doctors will give you information about Adam's prognosis based on statistics. It's not because they are cold-hearted or don't see Adam as a person....it's just what they have to do. But having watched so many go through this, I can also tell you that statistics are just numbers. And Adam is not a statistic. I have personally watched miracles happen that the doctors couldn't explain, because of the statistics. Our God is bigger than statistics or numbers. He knows every hair on Adam's head and He hold's Adam's precious head in His very bosom. I will continue to pray for you. Thank you for being such an encouragement to me and so many others by putting everything you have: your family, your faith, even your tears, into the Hands of Him who loves you. Even your tears are an offering to Him. "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8
Warmly, Amy Beagle

Mary said...

I remember a time when Adam and you were over our house (Mark wasn't home yet) and Jack got "mouthy" with me. Before I could say anything Adam gently but firmly corrected him not to talk to me that way. I remember thinking, "Thank you!! You go Adam!" It is so effective when a man intervenes on behalf of a child. Besides an uncle I can think of few male friends who have the integrity to do that. I'm thankful Adam's on our team!

Blog Archive