Monday, May 31, 2010

In Hands of God

Philippians 2:1-2 "If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in the spirit and purpose."

I am so blessed that I have been able to find my comfort in the arms of my Savior, for who else could I turn for such comfort at a time like this? I have received great comfort and encouragement in his love for me as well as his passion for pursing me. When reading the verse above I realized that with receiving such wonderful attributes of God, I have been tasked with a responsibility of being like-minded offering His love through me to others around me. These last 17 days I have not always been successful at offering my self as a sacrifice for Him to allow His love to shine through me. There have been moments when the flesh has taken over and emotions have ran high, and I am just sorry that I have allowed these situations to arise. Today was one of those days for me. This is where I am so grateful that His love covers a multitude of sins, where His grace is enough. Leaving the hospital is the hardest most difficult thing that I have to do... yet, I have realized it is vital to leave and rest so that the enemy's plan to come kill, steel, and destroy is ruined. The enemy will not come and kill relationships by separating family, he WILL NOT steel my joy and peace, and he WILL NOT destroy the plans that God has to turn this for the good. Please join me in praying all these things.

Today I reached a pivotal turning point in my journey... sometimes we hear things over and over again by so many people, but it's not until God personally etches it on my heart that I understand... today my moment was, God is always with Adam, even when I cannot be. God spoke to me today letting me know it was time to give up the control and realize that He is sovereign and is control whether I am there or not. I was comforted by that and by the fact that I know God will never leave Adam nor forsake him, so I placed Adam back into the hands of his maker where he belongs. And as for me, I went back to be my Lord's servant.

As far as Adam goes, please continue to pray... he took a couple steps backwards today. He has the EVD drain, which helps control and regulate pressure on his brain. Last night after several poor neuro exams the doctors decided to lower the pressure that Adam was doing on his own and allow the drain to handle the pressure... to see if he would improve. It helped a bit, but with the drain doing so much of the work, this keeps us in the ICU that much longer. While it would be nice to say goodbye to the ICU, it also provides comfort for me to know that Adam is getting top notch care and quite a bit of one on one attention. Adam continues to have a fever, and is still symptomatic of an infection, but I continue to pray against infection and I think it's no coincidence that they haven't found one yet... please keep praying, Adam's culture results won't be in until Wednesday.

While I have had to and am having to learn very difficult lessons throughout this journey, I am in awe of how blessed I am to see God's hand print all over this situation. He is my comfort, and in Him I will find my rest in His arms tonight... goodnight.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Good Morning Amy,

I asked God to give me something to share with you this morning. The first thought that came to me is how Jesus was with Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego in the furnace. When King Nebuchadnezzar saw them, "He said,'Look! I see FOUR men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.' " Daniel 3:25.

Jesus is with Adam 24/7. Adam's spirit is "unbound and unharmed!" even though his physical body is bound and has suffered harm.

Perhaps he is having a communion with Jesus that those of us who are well would greatly envy? Perhaps he is the most awake one that we know right now, and it is we who are sleeping?

In Him,
Jeff (and Wendy) McSwain

Adam & Amy Root said...

Jeff, wow!!! Thank you so much for this word! I am writing this down today and carrying it with me in my pocket. I too believe he is in the presence of God somehow, some way.

Thank you,

Amy

Jeff said...

And perhaps this affliction is the best thing for Adam and for all of us, so that we may wake up to God in otherwise impossible ways?

"I know, O Lord, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have afflicted me. May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant." Psalm 119:75

Maybe the love and comfort of Jesus is stronger to Adam now in his weakness than when he was walking around, like we do daily, in our busy-ness. To be REALLY with Jesus, in the moment, is great gain--but I find it difficult to maintain BEING with Him... my attention is divided!

I pray that Adam is having undivided/undistracted time with the Lord.

In Him,

Jeff and Wendy McSwain

Colleen said...

Hi Amy - My name is Colleen, I go to TCC and came to your blog from the link in our church newsletter last week. I'll turn 30 in a few weeks and have a daughter as well.

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying each day for you, Adam and your sweet daughter. You write with such deep love for your husband and love for Christ, it is really an inspiration and encouragement to me.

It is amazing that in a time of pain and despair, you are choosing to give - your testimony and model are gifts to those around you (and even those you don't know, like me).

I will keep praying for Adam and for all of your family. We serve a God that can do anything.

Psalm 46:1-2 - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.

Jewel said...

I know what you mean about hearing something over and over but God wanting to get it into our hearts. I'm so glad He's getting this deep into yours:)

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I was reading Psalm 8 this morning and thought of you. The theme of this Psalm is that the greatness of God assures the worth of mankind. God, the all-powerful Creator, cares for His most valuable creation-people. This means Adam, and your family. I think that you are being so wise in guarding against the attacks that Satan can bring from emotional and physical exhaustion. We are continuing to lift you up in prayer.

"O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!" Psalm 8:9

Love, Paige

Carlee said...

Dear Lord, thank You for your faithfulness and for the loving kindness You've shown Amy year after year. Please develop in her a heart of joy. May she choose to trust You with her and her family's life, and to rejoice amidst her circumstances today. Guide her in her decisions today, to Your glory. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Blog Archive