Monday, May 17, 2010

God Is In Control

First I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been faithfully lifting us up in prayer. This brings more comfort than I can express in words. There is such power in prayer and I have been so blessed to see the power of God prevail. We are not out of the woods, so please keep the prayers coming.

Here is the story of what happened as well as I can remember it...

Adam has always had a passion for motocross and loves a day when he can get out to a good track and ride. Adam has even taught Mackenzie to ride and enjoy a good track. This Saturday May 15th we packed up as a family and met our friends (the Lapiana's) at the track. Adam was familiar with this track, he went riding on it the week before. However, from what I understand they reversed the track (which rarely happens) and this makes the jumps unstable for a bit until riders can break the jumps in. Adam was on his second outing around the track and was aware that this particular jump was rough, and was not able to clear it.

Mackenzie and I were on the observation deck of the track waiting for Adam to come around when Mackenzie saw Adam wreck. Our friend that were riding with (Bill Lapiana) was right behind Adam and was able to keep Adam alive with his EMT training. Adam was airlifted to UNC Chapel Hill. By the time we arrived at the hospital Adam had arrived 10 minutes before, and was in surgery to relieve pressure off his swollen brain within 30 minutes after that. The fact that Adam made it through Saturday night was a complete miracle according to his doctors.

We were told the first 72 hours will be touch and go, but praise God, Adam's vitals at are stable. This is a good thing, but we are not in the clear yet. He is still in a coma, non-responsive (which means not a drug induced)... he is sedated between neuro exams. He is on a ventilator to help him breath, the best part about this is he is breathing quite a bit on his own (which is a huge improvement in the last 24 hours), the ventilator is now just helping him breath deeper.

Adam's injury is a severe left brain injury, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body so while there has been movement on both sides of his body it's not with out the nurses and doctors using painful stimulus manipulation to get movement from him. Adam's brain was hemorrhaging and was given a grim outlook upon arrival; he has already astonished the doctors by being able to respond to manipulated movement based on his initial arrival. He is by no means out of the danger zone.

As the doctors continue to remind me, this is a marathon and we are not even the second step into it. We will need continual prayers. Philippians 4:6 & 7 Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, presents your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I recognize God as my comfort and my source of strength, He has carried me every step of the way through this and will continue to do so. I am trusting in Him completely, and where there is faith there is no fear. I will do my best to update when I can, until next time... there is power in praying in Jesus' name.

Love,
Amy

PS... Those that are close to the area, please respect our wishes and if you have not been contacted by a family member to come to the hospital please do not visit or call the hospital. Please rely on us to update when we can. I will need an army of support in weeks to come.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I have been thinking of you guys constantly. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Josh

Heidi said...

Oh Amy,

I cannot even imagine what you are going through right now. I am praying for you guys.

Heidi

Jennie said...

Thank you so much for the update. We are continually praying for Adam...and the rest of the family. May you guys have strength and comfort during this time. God is in control! Bless you guys...

Jennie

Carlee said...

I honestly can't believe this post! Amy you are so strong. May the prayers that are said to you encourage you and keep you focused. It must be a roller coaster. I've been thinking of you all day today, knowing I would try to call tomorrow "Tuesday". I will wait to hear more on the posts. Love you guys! Praying for you guys! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I'm Jack's cousin and have been following this on FB and now your blog...after posting info on FB I have had numerous people place Adam on prayer chains...your family is being held up in a lot of prayer from all over the country...although I've only met Adam a few times and never had the opportunity to meet you, I hope you know that through my connection to the Root family I am thinking about you guys & praying for a miracle....Shari

Anonymous said...

Amy-
Thinking of you all and praying for Adams recovery. You are in my thoughts. Love you all - EMILY xox

adawna11 said...

Thank you for updating us Amy. I've been checking on fb regularly waiting to hear how's he's doing. I am continuing to pray for complete healing for Adam and for this to be a testimony of God's love and faithfulness. And for peace and comfort for you, Mackenzie and the rest of the family. You are so right, God is in control:) Love you!

Jewel

Anonymous said...

Amy, I am a friend of your sister Renae and am praying for you and for a miraculous recovery for Adam. May God bless, strengthen, comfort and fill you with hope and peace.

Colette

jerrie said...

Karl and the girls and I are praying. I'll tell the teachers tomorrow at school. Mrs. Bailey asks after you and Mac often. We will keep contact through the blog.

Watch Prince said...

Amy,

I have been receiving news via Gretchen. She has passed along doctor's scenarios, barring any miracle. Frankly, I am holding out for the miracle. Praying regularly for God's miraculous healing.

Uncle Doug M

Karie Garner said...

Amy,
I am praying continually for Adam and for his complete recovery.

Karie Garner (Claire's mom)

Scott said...

We're praying for you guys.

Joyson said...

You, Mackenzie, Adam, and all of your family are in our prayers. We are hopeful and looking forward to hearing a great testimony of healing. God is Good.

Stefanie said...

I'm Renae's co-worker and just wanted to say that Adam and your family are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

Val said...

Amy,
I continue to pray for you, Adam, Mackenzie and your entire extended family. Our God is an amazing God who can take the worst of situations and turn them into a glorious display of His love for us.
Thank you for keeping everyone updated. I am ready to do whatever you need, whenever it's needed. We will be sure to keep you lifted up in prayer at Gateway this Thursday. I will miss you, especially if I have to walk around again with posters, but I know that you are exactly where you need to be right now.
May God continue to strengthen you with the power of His presence.
Val Montague

Pastor Matt LaPiana said...

Amy,

The power of prayer is awesome. My brother (Bill) contacted me soon after the accident. We (The Sons Of God MC) immediately went to prayer for Adam, you and Mackenzie. Our God is the great healer and nothing is beyond His power. Praise God that He is with all of you. I shall keep all involved lifted in prayer. Isaiah 40:29-30 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; the will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." God Bless you and your family.

In Christ's Love,
Pastor Matthew LaPiana

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am available for anything that you need. Please do not hesitate to ask!

Love, Paige

Dan and Shell said...

Amy,
I met you once in passing, I am Renae's friend, Shelley. I am truly amazed at the strength you have right now & love to see that you are trusting God through all of this. We are praying for you and Mackenzie right now, and especially for Adam!! I am so glad that your sister's and mom were able to come and be with you! Thank you for being so open and honest to us all!
"Lord, please be with the Root family right now. Guide the Doctor's as they deal with Adam's head trauma, give them wisdom to know what to do next. Lord, we know YOU are the great physician, and we ask for your healing hand upon Adam tonight. Be with Amy and Mackenzie, wrap your arms around them so they can feel your comforting presence Lord. We know you are in control, and we pray that your will will be done! In Jesus' name, Amen".

Blog Archive